Thread: Something is not right.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

I think the grass in side the city looks good, just outside the city I needs some sort of adjustment, I just don't know what.

Personally I like the water as is. I know it isn't textured, and thus looks different from the rest of of the city (style wise), but I personally like it

Quick question, you have a building which has it's own wall, somewhat centered on the map, a little to the right. Is that suppose to be a church with a graveyard with mausoleums?

(My comments above were on the first version of the map)

I like the grass texture from the first map inside the city walls better, but the second texture on the outside better.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyD473 View Post
    Quick question, you have a building which has it's own wall, somewhat centered on the map, a little to the right. Is that suppose to be a church with a graveyard with mausoleums?
    Exactly. I was worried about that, but since you pegged it perfectly, I'm happy.

As for the grass I'll fiddle with both and see what happens

Okay, here is the inside outside grass.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port City2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	18926

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That grass outside has a nice color range but is speckled and distracting, maybe a tiny blur of 1-3 pixels or so might help ease that. That grass inside is very vibrant, I'd save that for parks. Your docks have a shadow with the sun in the bottom left, your walls have a shadow with the sun in the top left, but your buildings have no shadow and are highlighted with the sun in the bottom left mostly - the large inn-like buildings with many gables have sun in top left highlighting.

Personally, I like the bay and the docks the best. The docks have a slight stroke and it works pretty well with the water...maybe try that on the buildings as well. I might go and scrap all of that grass in favor of straight-forward coloring like the water...all that grass distracts from the building detail. That might be the whole problem, too much detail fighting for attention all over the place. The walls do look great, though Just my thoughts, follow them if you like.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps