Thread: Wip Continent

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Wip Wip Continent

Now, I am remaking this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a0bt_-Getgg.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	592.9 KB 
ID:	101623
    To this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2gcont.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	473.5 KB 
ID:	101624 because i dont like my first prototype.
    That do you think about it?
    P.S. I will post here my latest impovements.

What is it you did not like about it?

Are you going to include the same sort of drawing elements in the new version - you said earlier you were working toward a cartoon-like style. This original and the Albion Island one did have a good cartoon style to them.

With your restart of this map one way you can make it more believable is to make the rivers behave like real water. In general, rivers join together as they go toward the sea, and the angle of their join *usually* points downstream. That's one way to determine which way water is flowing when you look at an unfamiliar map or aerial photo. It is not impossible for rivers to split again into more than one watercourse - that happens in very flat land, particularly the very flat land of a delta as a river enters a large body of water. Some rivers seem to totally lose track of their course :-) like the Inner Niger Delta, but unless that fairly rare situation is what you want to show, realism is improved by mostly gathering your waters, not splitting them. If you want to show river deltas where they meet the sea that is perfectly believable. There is a great tutorial by Redrobes on How to get your rivers in the right place you could read.

You could say that you want a cartoonish look, not reality. Fair enough - but the way water behaves is sort of a "standard symbol", like mountains being pointy and snow-capped, or forests being green lumpy mats. We can tell for instance that you have rivers, since they are narrow and curvy and blue. But if you make a viewer stop and try to figure out the direction of water flow, it may derail the greater story you were trying to tell, or worse, it might make the viewer get puzzled and lose interest. Whether photo-realistic or cartoonish, whether hex-map blocky or perspective-pictorial - if our maps show a land that is at all normally behaved, there will be some standard ways of showing elements. If on the other hand you are drawing a land that differs from earth, by all means draw it like that land "really is" :-).

How do you plan to improve this map? I like the general cartoon style - it's nice and clear. By the way - welcome to the Guild - I missed your introduction a few days back.

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

I dont like forests and rivers (they look kinda boring). But the main mistake is original resolution - 8000x4500 200ppi. My laptop simply cant handle it. Now, I am working in A3 template.

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice.
    Maybe, I should remake rivers and coastline, again.
    About improvements - I think, I will redraw forests, ground and water at all, especially ocean. Also, I will add 2 castles, 8 cities and 9 towns.
    I am a little bit mad. I have problems with building drawing, thats why at first I draw front and upper view on paper, then use this to build a 3D model. After, redraw result in gimp.
    Thank you for helping me. I love Guild.