Thread: Axis & Allies Miniatures Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Uhh!

Moin,

i am surprised to see so many replies. Thanks!

@NeonKnight: A&A-Maps with CC3? Have you some pictues?
    @GamePrinter
    it seems your roads, towns, and forests are forced into their shape by the grids around the
    You're right. I also see this problem, but the reference maps are ... very synthetic? (right word?). I will rethink about my next steps.

@torstan: on my screen its not so bright. I make a notice for me to remeber your hint.

But at all: has no one a good (mini-)tutorial to make a forest? I hate my own forest (its ugly).

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Best bet is to browse around the regional map section and find a forest you like. Or find an example on the wider web. Then point to it and ask how it was done. I'm sure someone here will be able to recreate the look for you using gimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaviar Eldor Eissturm View Post
    @NeonKnight: A&A-Maps with CC3? Have you some pictues?
    Here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=859
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Another map of me

Hi!

I know that this is an old thread but I just had to post my images! Enjoy! All Photoshop baby!

For those of you that want to use all that Extended Range that does not get blocked....

And those of you that like a little more of a challenge...

And

I've never played A&A Minis, but I do play Squad Leader. The terrain/LOS rules are similar, so perhaps you could do a similar thing with A&A Minis maps. In addition to allowing terrain to flow into adjacent hexes (which is most common), ASL sometimes gets around terrain rules by using historical special rules. Historically accurate maps sometimes will create an unusual terrain type or an unusual combination of terrain types. This is because historically there existed more than one terrain type in a hex. If you are trying to recreate a historically accurate map, then you could take this option - make special rules describing how to play with the unusual terrain type or unusual combination of terrain types. However if you are not trying to recreate historically accurate terrain, I would not recommend this approach.

Also, if you are looking for different terrain types - the VASL Map Cabal site has the Squad Leader versions of the terrain types. The terrain art there might be worth looking at when making patterns for woods/grain/marsh/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kihmbar View Post
    Also, if you are looking for different terrain types - the VASL Map Cabal site has the Squad Leader versions of the terrain types. The terrain art there might be worth looking at when making patterns for woods/grain/marsh/whatever.
    Thanks for the info... I'm currently looking into using Sketch Up for all my buildings. My next attempt will be to create a 'City Fight' map for Axis and Allies. A kind of Stalingrad/Fall of Berlin map that could be used for either scenario. It's kind of daunting... I don't have any proprietary mapping software other than Photoshop and Illustrator. So it's all scratch built, and all my art/graphic design skills to be put into full effect. I know it's going to be hard. Nothing that is worthwhile is easy.

Wilco out!

Quote Originally Posted by Kihmbar View Post
    I've never played A&A Minis, but I do play Squad Leader. The terrain/LOS rules are similar, so perhaps you could do a similar thing with A&A Minis maps. In addition to allowing terrain to flow into adjacent hexes (which is most common), ASL sometimes gets around terrain rules by using historical special rules. Historically accurate maps sometimes will create an unusual terrain type or an unusual combination of terrain types. This is because historically there existed more than one terrain type in a hex. If you are trying to recreate a historically accurate map, then you could take this option - make special rules describing how to play with the unusual terrain type or unusual combination of terrain types. However if you are not trying to recreate historically accurate terrain, I would not recommend this approach.

Hey Khimbar, do you know my friend, Trevor Edwards? He used to run the Squad Leader tournaments in the UK. I think he goes by the nick 'Hedgehog' on the ASL boards.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hey Khimbar, do you know my friend, Trevor Edwards? He used to run the Squad Leader tournaments in the UK. I think he goes by the nick 'Hedgehog' on the ASL boards.
    I'm not familiar with Trevor Edwards, but then again I don't usually surf the ASL boards. I've got an active ASL group around here in case I have a question concerning the rules. I intend to go to ASLOK sometime, but the biggest tournament I've been to so far is the Winter Offensive.