Thread: Question about CC3 upgrades

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the reply!

Does DD3 add mainly a bunch of symbols, or does it also add new features? If it does, how useful/necessary are these features? Also, are the CC3 default symbols good enough for making decent dungeons and battlemaps, or do I really need DD3 for this functionality?

Without CD3, does CC3 have overhead view building symbols that could be used on battlemaps? I would really like to have these, and I saw on the website that CD3 has a lot of these, but if CC3 has some without CD3, then I don't feel like I need CD3 as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Authw8 View Post
    Does DD3 add mainly a bunch of symbols, or does it also add new features? If it does, how useful/necessary are these features? Also, are the CC3 default symbols good enough for making decent dungeons and battlemaps, or do I really need DD3 for this functionality?
    DD3 adds symbols for dungeon mapping. It also adds tools geared around dungeon mapping, for example drawing corridors and rooms. It's possible to do things using just CC3, but the other add-ons make the mapping that much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Authw8 View Post
    Without CD3, does CC3 have overhead view building symbols that could be used on battlemaps? I would really like to have these, and I saw on the website that CD3 has a lot of these, but if CC3 has some without CD3, then I don't feel like I need CD3 as much.
    There aren't any top-down house symbols in CC3. However, it doesn't mean you can't create them or use symbols found elsewhere. Again, the add-on makes life easier with new symbols and tools.

Something to bear in mind. Campaign Cartographer is based on CAD technology and can therefore have a steep learning curve for those used to using drawing packages like Photoshop or GIMP. It's a complex toolkit for mapping. It may be worth you just buying the basic CC3 for now and learning the basics of overland mapping. There are tutorials and guides around, here and at the Profantasy site. Once registered, you should have access to the CC3 manual and there are video tutorials available under the Community menu.

Once you've got to grips with how Campaign Cartographer works, you can start to add the other tools. I'll agree with NeonKnight in that the Annuals and Symbol Sets are worth the money. For someone like me, with no artistic talent or ability, they allow me to create decent looking maps. All I need is the sense of aesthetics to pull the symbols together and create a personal style.
    Last edited by Valarian; 11-28-2008 at 03:55 AM.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games