Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Garnok region of Baldimar

Ok... added some conifers to the north part of the map. I created a custom brush thanks to Torstan's inspiration and laid down two copies set to overlay on two different layers with slightly different shades of green set to soft light and burn. I think the results came out pretty darn well if I do say so myself.

I may end up getting rid of the manual squiggles in the original forest and make a image hose with a few roundish brushes, not sure at this point....

Hopefully, this is starting to shape up into a nice artistic map...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ParchmentMap.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	10492  
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 02-17-2009 at 11:02 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think your conifer forest is great, even better than the deciduous (sp?) you originally did. Would it be worth it to try and create a similar brush for it?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I think your conifer forest is great, even better than the deciduous (sp?) you originally did. Would it be worth it to try and
    create a similar brush for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I may end up getting rid of the manual squiggles in the original forest and make a image hose with a few roundish brushes, not sure at this point....
    Yep.... I am thinking at this point that might be what I do. I have to really come up a brush that I like though, so that's the main sticking point. I also want to keep the feel that it's color over which some tree shapes have been drawn, so I have to be convinced myself that whatever brush I make will follow that same line of artistic expression...
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That is very lovely. The saturation and the sharpness of the light/shade on the forest make it stand out a lot. Perhaps it's best to lower those a little so it blends in with the rest of the map.

I really like what you did with the tree brush. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    That is very lovely. The saturation and the sharpness of the light/shade on the forest make it stand out a lot. Perhaps it's best to lower those a little so it blends in with the rest of the map.

I really like what you did with the tree brush. Good stuff.
    Thanks.... I just made one of those stereotypical (sloppy) Christmas tree shape things for the brush, colored half black/half white and then cross colored a few streaks of white onto black and visa versa and applied a blur to the whole thing before saving the brush.

I did want it to be a bit sharp color wise, but i might play with it just a tad to see if I can tone it down. With the blending modes, I found that it was either way to dark or way to light, so I am still trying to figure out how to tweak it a bit and still get something close to what I want.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Soo.... small update.. I got rid of the squiggle lines in the forest and made up a brush to use in overlay mode, just like I did with the Conifer trees, a week or two ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ParchmentMap2.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	10745  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Hooo... this is pretty.

I like the blurring you achieved, it gives a painting aspect.

The compass is contrasting a little bit as it is a tad sharp, I think.

Are you planning on adding text labels? I am curious about your choice of lettering to match this dreamy feel that emanates from the map...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Nice looking map. Looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrice View Post
    Hooo... this is pretty.

I like the blurring you achieved, it gives a painting aspect.

The compass is contrasting a little bit as it is a tad sharp, I think.

Are you planning on adding text labels? I am curious about your choice of lettering to match this dreamy feel that emanates from the map...
    Thanks. I don't have everything planned out yet... this started out as a lunchtime doodle to make a ISO tree group without making individual trees. After playing with it for a few weeks, I got inspired to start a campaign with my Face to Face group alternating with our existing GM, so am kind of playing it by ear. We are starting in March, but I dont have to hurry since the group starts out in a Dwarven city and has been there for centuries... So, when they get this map, probably around 3rd level or so, it will be very old and outdated... once they get top side, it will take them a while to figure out that the map no longer represents the landscape as it exists in their time.

If you read the other posts, I plan to try to do something with hammer or axe and a banner for the compass. This is just a quick place holder to provide a similar style for what I am going for, but it will eventually be replaced.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Good work on the forest changes. That's looking really nice. I'm also intrigued by the ever-changing thread title! Nice to see how the doodle is progressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I wondered about that too.

I tried to change a thread title to a thread I had started, once, but it sort of didn't work... it only changed the title of my individual first post.
    Ok... hopefully, the final title change, since you guys were so interested in it. heh...
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast