Thread: WIP - UK AAA map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Mmm, you've inspired me to dig my own map of the UK out. I miss having such insanely-detailed pieces on the wall; they make staring into space so much more productive!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Never heard of AAA but they have a website www.aaa.com so its a US thing I think. They have an affiliate program which links to our more regular AA which is the automobile association - they are the UKs oldest (premiere?) breakdown recovery, insurance and all things car people. They make a lot of UK road maps and issue a huge ring bound atlas style UK map covering all the roads each year so its possible that this is a spin of one of those.
    I couldn't help but smile; the AA has its headquarters here in Basingstoke, and it's there I did my secondary school work experience, in the cartography department near the top floor of Fanum House. Quite an awakening as I went about at the age of 15, plotting London street maps and re-drawing layouts for Gatwick Airport. I haven't returned to map-making in Quark XPress since, though...

Anyway, enough of my meandering. Good luck with the project, Plamadude! It looks like it certainly would keep you busy!
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnyo View Post
    ...I haven't returned to map-making in Quark XPress since, though...
    Oh man, Quark XPress. That takes me back to my high-school newspaper early days. Thankfully, we switched to indesign before I had to do too much with quark, but I still remember it as being intensely annoying.

As for the map, I'm hoping I can get some work done this afternoon. I need a break from all my studying!