Thread: First attempt FT + Photoshop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looks great! To be able to zoom in further on the FT map without seeing the fractal patterns, go in to the World Settings menu and modify the parameters on your fractal and increase the number of octaves.

A minor pick is that the borders of your rivers also look a bit strong, like the blue coastline.

You may also have a problem with scale - if the zoom in map is 1300km by 900km then I'd guess that the village on the coast is about.. 50km from left to right? I have *often* had the same issue with my FT maps. It is extremely easy to lose track of the scale of the image you're looking at. My best suggestion is to find a pair of obvious landmarks on your map section and use the ruler tool in FT to see what the distance between them actually is. Also, because the section you're working with is near the top of the map, it's likely to be more distorted. That may not matter to you though, since you're only doing a subselection of the world rather than the whole thing.

It's an awesome-looking map though! I'll have to look up those tutorials you used for myself.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Master TMO View Post
    Looks great! To be able to zoom in further on the FT map without seeing the fractal patterns, go in to the World Settings menu and modify the parameters on your fractal and increase the number of octaves.
    I have tried repeatedly, but if I lower the number (12 is default) it seems to work, while if I increase it, visually I can se no difference, and the number itself return to 12 if I re-open the worl-setting after closing it. It says that the maximum is 20, but it seems unable to take any number greater than 12, is this just me (may be that I am running FT under CrossOver on a Mac) or is it a known bug?