Thread: [WIP] My first map and first time as a DM.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well, I think that you are off to a great start

I also like the style that you are developing...sort of cartoonishy but still capable of passing on info. As long as that is where you want to go, I see nothing wrong with a non-realistic representation of coastlines. I even like those little islands...IMHO they work with the coastlines that you have already.

I would suggest that you add a bit of color to the forests and mountains, just to break them away from the land masses. not too heavy on the color either, just enough to give them some "oomph".

And for your first map in your first post, I will hit you over the head with a wet Spaghetti Noodle of Reputation....(I always have trouble telling if it is done)
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus van der Kroft View Post
    You have a very unique style for drawing, and I like how it looks. That big tree on the left looks very nice, in particular.

The coastlines are supposed to look that way, or you intend to make them more rugged? The tiny ovoid islands are the only things I'm not too convinced about.
    Thanks, although I can't take credit for most of it. I saw a map done in a similar way and later on the artist threw together a tutorial for it: Linky

The coastlines are a bit rounded probably due to the way I made them in illustrator using live trace. I am not sure if I will fix up the coast lines or leave them as they are for now. I think I eventually want to try making a more realistic looking atlas type map for the world as well and I'll make the coastlines more rugged in that version. My hope is to make this map look a bit more hand drawn as this is going to be given to the players as a map of the "known" world as documented by some old wizardly type of guy. Whether or not it lines up to the more realistic version is up for the players to discover as they travel

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    Well, I think that you are off to a great start

I also like the style that you are developing...sort of cartoonishy but still capable of passing on info. As long as that is where you want to go, I see nothing wrong with a non-realistic representation of coastlines. I even like those little islands...IMHO they work with the coastlines that you have already.

I would suggest that you add a bit of color to the forests and mountains, just to break them away from the land masses. not too heavy on the color either, just enough to give them some "oomph".

And for your first map in your first post, I will hit you over the head with a wet Spaghetti Noodle of Reputation....(I always have trouble telling if it is done)
    My favorite part about cooking spaghetti is throwing it at a wall and seeing if it sticks.

Color is definitely coming and I'm trying to keep a khaki-ish color scheme going. I used to do a lot of pen and ink illustrations when I was younger so I'm not quite so used to adding color yet. Also, adobe illustrator sometimes seems to cause some neurotic tendencies to come up so I feel the need to go back and straighten all the little lines I've done. If I take too long to get this campaign started, my players are going to storm my house and carry all my material off