Thread: How does pricing for maps differ from other forms of art?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Essentially, using photo mapping, all your textures are photographs - you only need to find them, not create them. When I do hand-drawn maps, I have to hand-draw all the line work, scan it, then digitally trace it to fill the interiors of shapes, which is rather time-consuming. Then even though my coloring is done digitally, I am choosing and mixing colors with fractal cloud filters, while optimizing its look. It easily takes twice as long to do the work by hand and finished digitally, as any other kind of cartography. All maps I create I do remarkably fast, but digital only maps - I am extremely fast at creating.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Essentially, using photo mapping, all your textures are photographs - you only need to find them, not create them. When I do hand-drawn maps, I have to hand-draw all the line work, scan it, then digitally trace it to fill the interiors of shapes, which is rather time-consuming. Then even though my coloring is done digitally, I am choosing and mixing colors with fractal cloud filters, while optimizing its look. It easily takes twice as long to do the work by hand and finished digitally, as any other kind of cartography. All maps I create I do remarkably fast, but digital only maps - I am extremely fast at creating.
    Oh, well now I feel silly. I've been trying to *draw/paint* a photo-realistic map

Okay, that makes a lot more sense

So basically, it's mostly a matter of time (and pressure to finish) and copyrights ?