Thread: Fantasy RPG Town Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I may be new... But I don't feel like the ruins are ruins... they are way too clean to be ruins I feel. they look more like incomplete wall segments...

To me they need some harder changes in their coloring to show major holes in the walls like; whole section, then 30 feet of nothing but the last few feet of height left, then the rest of the wall complete again.

Take a BIG bite out of a piece of toast, then stand it up with the bite you took at the top, then look strait down at that and you will see what I mean.. Cannonball? lol

peace

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Nickadimos View Post
    I may be new... But I don't feel like the ruins are ruins... they are way too clean to be ruins I feel. they look more like incomplete wall segments...

To me they need some harder changes in their coloring to show major holes in the walls like; whole section, then 30 feet of nothing but the last few feet of height left, then the rest of the wall complete again.

Take a BIG bite out of a piece of toast, then stand it up with the bite you took at the top, then look strait down at that and you will see what I mean.. Cannonball? lol
    Thanks for the comment, Terry. I know exactly what you're saying. I had considered adding rubble/additional shading to the walls but I decided against it several reasons. First off, I don't consider these walls be in complete ruins. Maybe the word 'ruins' wasn't the right one (I do sometimes find it hard to find the right words to express my ideas). In my mind, the walls are still in use but not in the best condition (they are showing their age).

I basically saw the fortification walls as being a relic of the town's past (perhaps a hundred years old or so). The town once suffered raids/attacks from the enemy, but the area has been peaceful for some time now so the old protective walls have deteriorated with the passage of time and neglect. I do envision the interior walls probably being used more often than the outer walls though (mainly because the centre of the town is the administrative heart of the town). Perhaps the thieves' guild is using the outer towers for nefarious purposes since they are so close to the shanty huts.

I also decided against the idea of including rubble because I figured the local townspeople would have snatched any loose, usable rock for their own purposes. I picture some of the older stonework would be incorporated into the various buildings/bridges/road markers/etc.

For the generic map, I'm leaving the status of the walls and their ultimate use up to the Game Master/Dungeon Master to decide. My original idea was to produce a series of generic maps that a DM could plug into his game and use without too much alteration. As for the Greyhawk version, I'm working on the background details behind the history of the town of Ardkeep and those that call it home.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx