Thread: December Entry: River Police Station

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

I'm really liking the castle, but the base map you're setting it on could use revising. The water just isn't working for me, it looks like you've taken a close up photo of small wave action in very shallow water, at the very edge of the surf. (as in it looks like what I expect to see water doing when it has spread out to just a few mm deep, high on a long sloping shore. This isn't how I expect to see deep water off a rocky coast acting.)

Honestly I would almost suggest looking into rendering the water as its own 3d model. I know there are several tool sets out there for doing so. It would give you far more control over what you are doing.

One other thing, as currently rendered, the 'watefall' looks more like some kind of channel level with the rest of the water. Might help if you rotate your castle a little so we're not looking squarely at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    I'm really liking the castle, but the base map you're setting it on could use revising. The water just isn't working for me, it looks like you've taken a close up photo of small wave action in very shallow water, at the very edge of the surf. (as in it looks like what I expect to see water doing when it has spread out to just a few mm deep, high on a long sloping shore. This isn't how I expect to see deep water off a rocky coast acting.)
    Actually you've danced around what I'm really trying to do here (not that that water graphic doesn't need some kind of help, but...) I plan to place Tsunami coming in from the east of the map. I was thinking of pulling the water back away from the shoreline to build up the wave that's oncoming. First I wanted to try heavily churning "shallow" water as the it's drawing towards the Tsunami. Again, all very experimental.

I also plan to place some ship/boats in that water to hide some of its inconsistencies and as part of the besiegers.

I may make some changes, but there lots more going into the map, and a good chance what follows will cover up what's wrong with it right now. We'll have to see.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Reminds me a bit of Alexander's sack of Cyprus.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Based on your other thread, I kind of hope you do switch this thread up to do a Battletech siege(complete with backstory!)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post As a top-down, or as an iso???

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Based on your other thread, I kind of hope you do switch this thread up to do a Battletech siege(complete with backstory!)
    Should I try that as a top-down BT styled map, or keep it in ISO. My only issue is that I'd have to create some more 3D mechs. I created the madcat I'm using for my new avatar, because I 3D modeled that one years ago. But that's the only Mech I've made to 3D.

Either way, however, I'm going to need to create some more Mechs. And all those explosions, laser fire, missles, this might get more complicated than I'd hoped, but alas, such are the tasks I lay before me.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Should I try that as a top-down BT styled map, or keep it in ISO. My only issue is that I'd have to create some more 3D mechs. I created the madcat I'm using for my new avatar, because I 3D modeled that one years ago. But that's the only Mech I've made to 3D.

Either way, however, I'm going to need to create some more Mechs. And all those explosions, laser fire, missles, this might get more complicated than I'd hoped, but alas, such are the tasks I lay before me.

GP
    Well... I am up for either. It's been ages since I have had a chance to play BT, so either way, I would be fine. As you say, doing ISO would be quite a bit more work, but it also may be just the thing to put you over the edge in the competition if you can find the time.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post How about a grid?

You know what might look cool and give it that map look over 3D illustration is to place a hex grid on the ground surface beneath all those fighting Mechs, while still keeping it ISO. OK, Jfrazierjr - you talked me into it. Now I got think of a new name to change the title of this thread... hmmm.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store