Thread: Anator again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

You know what I dig the most about that map? Those mountains. I tried something like that once, but in my addiction to detail I discarded the idea way too early, obviously. It's a really good way of showing the topography without taking away too much space for other things like towns.

On the other hand, because those mountains/hills are just lines they clash with the rivers. Maybe do them in a different colour, if you're using colour anyway? Or draw the mountains with a thicker brush. Just a suggestion.

I also think the stroke on the coastline is too thick and blurs the details.

Wip

Close up of how far I've gotten. My original plan was to draw all the trees and then go back and do all the mountain lines and ground shadows. But, drawing trees gets boring. So this section is basically what a finished section will look like (at least in terms of line work). I want everything to be clear from the line work so that I'll be able to print it in black and white and give it to my players to mark up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anator Current-005a.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	62180 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anator Current-005b.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	62182

Quote Originally Posted by Llannagh View Post
    On the other hand, because those mountains/hills are just lines they clash with the rivers. Maybe do them in a different colour, if you're using colour anyway? Or draw the mountains with a thicker brush. Just a suggestion.

I also think the stroke on the coastline is too thick and blurs the details.
    Do you think the mountains stand out enough now? Also I'm still on the fence about what to do about the coastal border. It's easily changed, so I'm not too concerned yet. And I think it'll be more clear what looks right when the map is more filled in.

As for color, nothings final (except the roads will most likely stay in red).

Some things still to do:
    • Draw city/town icons
    • Make a nice parchment texture (any suggestions as to anyone's favorite tutorial for this would be appreciated)
    • Clean up the rivers (width, jaggedness, flowing on top of trees)
    Last edited by flocko; 03-09-2014 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Added BW version