Thread: atpollard says hello

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Welcome, atpollard. Yes, while a map is a map, a different map might be said to be.... different :-). Style matters, at least in our enjoyment of them, and certain time periods or genres do imply certain styles. Though I'm imagining a competition focused on intentionally using the "wrong" cues on a map - "here be dragons" and hand-lettered florid script... on a gas station state map. Laser-etched marble depiction... of a stellar survey. Rand McNally Atlas sheets... of the Realm Of Orkish Mayhem. Thank you for prompting me - that's a fun thought to entertain.

Fantasy is most usual hereabouts, but that is sometimes expressed as a modern-ish map of an imagined place. The worlds I most often depict are either current-Earth-equivalent, or similar to Earth of the 1940-1950 timespan. Mind you, I then sometimes do historic maps of that world's synthetic history. I haven't gotten into mapping ITS mythology ... yet :-).

So - what era or style are you drawn :-) to?

Greetings Ravells, yeah it has been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    So - what era or style are you drawn :-) to?
    1880-1920 Arts and Crafts Movement era Romanesque building plans at the moment ...
    ... but I design modern urban commercial centers for a living (worldwide economic meltdown not withstanding).
    Last edited by atpollard; 12-03-2011 at 02:31 PM.