Thread: Westmarch - A castle-style town

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    - Some different colored roofs (giving the impression some houses have slate roofs for example)
    There are actually two buildings with stone roofs, the lord's estate and the state building itself. The reason that the rest are not is because these are relatively poor towns; it was difficult enough for them to raise the money for a true stone city wall. Even the nobles live in houses with straw and wooden roofs.

- Maybe some pastures or fields in the empty spaces near the walls.
    Yes, perhaps. The fields are suppose to be outlying from the town along the river, but I may add some pastures inside the town.

- A large dirt patch to represent the market?
    I thought about it, but I wanted the roads to flow through the market. I went with the row style as opposed to a circular bazarre style because the government in this town would be restrictive in its city planning.

Edit: I may turn the square that the state building and a large part of the central market is sitting on into a paved plaza to make it look more open-air.

- Some walled off gardens.
    Probably not, as the town is considered poorer than most (lucky to have a city wall made of stone). Even though it would lend to a prettier map, it wouldn't really fit in the setting of the town. (The Temple District does have a few flower gardens, though)

- A cemetery.
    Yes, I will probably add a small cemetary on the road north of town. It did cross my mind on the first run through.

- Some wells.
    Been thinking about how to do this exactly; the scale would be so small on a well that I may just add a label for where the wells are suppose to be.

As for why the wall looks like that, I totally agree that medieval towns were designed around the current construction to defend it. However, the city government here wanted to level out the terrain and build the wall big enough to cover future development for a long time. So, they stretched the wall out a little further, squared it off to save on construction problems and costs, and are going to let the town grow into the walls.
    Last edited by kittrellbj; 07-27-2009 at 09:06 PM.