Thank you all for your answers.

I'd just like to reply to a point. I've read from several people the answer that the software is already finished, and there is no room for improvements. As a software developer, I believe no software is ever finished, there is always some room for improvements.

And while I've not used CC yet (I've just watched quite some videos) it looks to me that although it looks the most able of all the software I've seen for cartography, I picked up places where I believe CC could be greatly improved.

For instance, the UI does not seem really pleasant or efficient to use. There are way to many dialog boxes, not enough direct interaction. Or the effects, while quite impressive, don't seem to take into account occlusion from other objects, which would make them even more impressive. I've not seen anything related to a varying line width (maybe it exists, but it's not shown in the videos), which could be quite nice to draw rivers. I've not seen anything that take into account input from a pen tablet, for instance matching the pen pressure to a density of trees.

That is why I think it is important that a software is updated regularly, so as to provided new cool stuff very often. I understand that a cartography software is a sum of the software itself and of an asset collection (styles, images, effects...). I'm very glad to see that the asset collection is very dynamic and evolves very often. I've been totally amazed by what I've seen in the examples from the annuals. I just hope that the software part itself will be updated too.

Once again, thank you for your help!