Thread: Greetings! Any SCA cartographers here?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vivat, Anachronista, and welcome!

I used to go Scadian once in a while, but don't have the steadiness of hand any more for calligraphy, much less maps. I'm in Atlantia right now, possibly moving to Atenveldt in a couple of years. Out there where the weather is warmer, I may get back into the SCA.

Your maps are absolutely gorgeous, but I do admit that I'm accustomed to seeing SCA maps oriented with west at the top. Is that just a local custom out here?

Quote Originally Posted by junius_gallio View Post
    I do admit that I'm accustomed to seeing SCA maps oriented with west at the top. Is that just a local custom out here?
    Thanks junius! To answer your question, I think the orientation of maps was much more fluid in the past than it is today. Lots of period maps have other directions besides north at the top. Also paper shape and sentence direction can influence all that. You should see some Ottoman maps, they are fun to try and figure out where on the earth they are!

Anyways, our Kingdom is tall and skinny in 'real life', with a long swath of mountains running north-south...and it's very ingrained into those of us who live here to use those mountains as a 'real life' orientation tool. Turning it sideways would look 'weird' to all of us Outlanders.

I hope you move to Atenveldt, then we'd be neighbors!

Quote Originally Posted by anachronista View Post
    You should see some Ottoman maps, they are fun to try and figure out where on the earth they are!
    I've got to find some Ottoman maps now! I love your maps. Good work.