Thread: [CWBP2] Question Regarding Ownership

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

You can do a CC without the NC as 12Rounds has said. All I am going to say here tho is that the CC license is not limited to the guild. If it has CC BY-SA then another web site could take the whole thing lock stock and sell it. Thats within their rights. You may find some people reluctant to work on a non NC but then maybe people don't care. I have often found that people don't care about the licensing of their work most of the time until someone else is making money off of it then suddenly they do.

Maybe have a vote on this one. If it is CC then would you not work on it unless it had an NC clause or would you only work on it if it didn't have one or you don't care what happens to your maps in it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    ... until someone else is making money off of it then suddenly they do...
    My point exactly.

I'm not trying to be a hard-nose here, and I don't *really* get the whole CC thing... but I've worked on "open to the public" type projects before that got ripped off by someone who didn't even participate ... and there was nothing anyone could do about it. So, I just know how this could go.

I also think a poll is a great idea, but I don't think everyone will understand exactly what they are getting or giving up while voting either way.

I'd personally prefer to see it licensed to the guild entirely, than to see it go the way of other things I was a part of, so I think the multiple choice option is best for an initial poll. It could be like... have the first post explain what each option means... including the parts where any random person/site can use/sell it.

Then list like:

I prefer to have the work licenced to the guild

If it is a CC I will not work on it unless it has an NC clause

I will only work on it if it doesn't have an NC clause

I prefer an NC clause but will work on the project without it

I prefer no NC clause but will work on the project without it.

I prefer different rights for different aspects of the project (maps vs the world, or races, elements, whatever)

Frankly my dear, I don't... really care.

^Several options because some people won't feel comfortable voting for an "either/or".

Then, once a sufficient (pre-specified) period of time has passed, look at the top couple/few choices and narrow it down with a new poll. "Look, the new options are A) or B). Vote now or forever hold your peace."

It will take longer, but fewer people will be upset/shocked/disturbed by/surprised at the outcome, if they see it coming, as well. AND it gives people time to figure out what they're actually agreeing to.
    Have you "liked" a post today?