Thread: Ukiyo-e Map Objects - take two!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Years of practice mostly...

I took art in high school and a few classes (not even a minor, though) in college. Then I've been a graphic artist, then designer, pretty much self-taught and years of experience. Truth tell, until about 2 years ago, when I started mapping heavily, I only dabbled in hand-drawn work over the years, but never lost the talent for it.

EDIT: I've always been able to draw. I took art in school to practice my techniques not so much to learn new ones, I was too stubborn and always did things my own way.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-10-2009 at 12:48 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I wasn't inferring anything nefarious, I just wanted to get me some looks at the inspirations so I could get some as well. I took art classes the same way...and for the easy A to pad my GPA
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I wasn't inferring anything nefarious, I just wanted to get me some looks at the inspirations so I could get some as well. I took art classes the same way...and for the easy A to pad my GPA
    Sorry, forgot to post the references!

First mountain (and I will do a couple more from the same landscape scene) is by Hiroshige, Mountains and Rivers of Kiso, ca 1857

Mountain with a Cascading River is by Hokusai, Yoshino Waterfall: Yo****sune washing his horse (I didn't put the horse or guys in my version), from the Series - A Journey to the Waterfalls of all the Provinces, ca. 1830 - 1831.

Note: I made major changes in the second one, and merely cropped the mountain down for the first one.

GP

Edit: just realized a "4 letter word" beginning with an "sh" is in the middle of that Japanese man's name - LOL.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-10-2009 at 02:02 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Laugh. Love the censor on that one. Superb images, GP. I'm looking forward to more, even if I'll probably never use them myself.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I took art in high school and a few classes (not even a minor, though) in college. Then I've been a graphic artist, then designer, pretty much self-taught and years of experience. Truth tell, until about 2 years ago, when I started mapping heavily, I only dabbled in hand-drawn work over the years, but never lost the talent for it.

EDIT: I've always been able to draw. I took art in school to practice my techniques not so much to learn new ones, I was too stubborn and always did things my own way.

GP
    Very nice. You a righty or a lefty (yea I know I'm getting off topic)?

Post Both, but not ambidexterous

I do both, though I'm not ambidexterous. I was taught to write with my right hand, but I do many things left handed by preference - eating, etc. I can force myself to write with my left hand, but very sloppily. I'm sure that I am actually left handed, had nature taken its course instead "nurture"...

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-10-2009 at 02:00 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Mountain #4

Just finished creating mountain #4, I also used the Mountains and Rivers of Kiso, by Hiroshige, for reference, as in the first mountain.

This one is Mountain with a Waterfall and Bridge...

GP

PS: I also tweaked Mountains 2 and 3, also attached...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain002.png 
Views:	309 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	9094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain003.png 
Views:	338 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	9095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain004.png 
Views:	306 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	9096  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-10-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store