Thread: My world - The Everlandias

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thnx words of advice Karro, its this kind of feedback i'm after. I understand what my problems are now, rivers were never my strong point , and I'll try and fix them tommorow.

I'm not going to fix map 2 as that is getting completely redone but i am going to take what you have said into account.

Quick question: do marshes/lakes have to be near a river to form. That's been one of my problems as i've been trying to get rivers to flow towards lakes and marshy areas to provide water but if they aren't needed that would be great. I know that underground rivers do exist and that these can from lakes, i have a document talking about that around here somewhere.

Thnx for the help

-D-

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    Thnx words of advice Karro, its this kind of feedback i'm after. I understand what my problems are now, rivers were never my strong point , and I'll try and fix them tommorow.

I'm not going to fix map 2 as that is getting completely redone but i am going to take what you have said into account.

Quick question: do marshes/lakes have to be near a river to form. That's been one of my problems as i've been trying to get rivers to flow towards lakes and marshy areas to provide water but if they aren't needed that would be great. I know that underground rivers do exist and that these can from lakes, i have a document talking about that around here somewhere.

Thnx for the help

-D-
    Lakes are typically fed by rivers (rivers come down from mountains and enter into lakes, sometimes more than one into a single lake, sometimes only one) and typically have a single river exiting them and heading toward the sea.

Marshes can be the result of several things. Basically, a marsh is a type of wetland subject to frequent flooding. This could be at the confluence of several rivers, or even a single river going over a particularly flatlandish area, or it could be a coastal marsh subject to tidal flooding. A river-fed marsh will probably become particularly sodden after a heavy rainfall dumps an excess amount of water into the river and surrounding area. Basically the marsh forms because of poor drainage (for instance a river runs through a wide flat area with a fairly narrow exit for the water, causing the water to pool up). Think of this kind of freshwater marsh as a large, very shallow lake.

Swamps are basically the same, except that the dominant foliage is now, rather than reeds and other herbaceous marsh plants, large swamp-loving trees (for instance, cypress) although this distinction seems to be primarily a North American distinction (the terms swamp and marsh being roughly interchangeable outside the U.S., I believe).

Coastal, saltwater and brackish marshes do typically occur at the exit-points of rivers and estuaries, particularly over an area with a lot of sedimentary build-up at the river's mouth. These marshes become flooded daily due to tidal movements.

Short answer: yes, typically there are rivers involved (though I don't know that this is always the case).
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...