Thread: May I present: Luthia!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Haha should have made it more clear, the ORIGINAL map this was based on was made in ms paint, this one was actually made in GIMP. I would post the original map that this was based on..... but since I kept having to resize to add more of the continent as we went, it is currently 9522x5944 and 3.88mb in size! Part of the issue I had with making the map is that a lot of the features became part of the story we were creating at the time before I really got into actual map making, so kind of had to be worked into it. I'm still working on how to fit things in with "proper" geography while keeping the integrity of the story that goes with the continent. The northern fork of the river.... well let's just say I didn't know that rule at the time haha. I do think I will take it out though, as it isn't important to the story in any way. I did notice the issue with the mountains as well, but wasn't quite sure what it was that was tweaking me about them. I am planning on adding a gradient from the landmass into the sea, so no reason I can't add an island chain to go with it, since there ARE islands out there. I do think that would help out the look quite a bit, thanks for that!

And, just for anyone lurking and wondering (I've wondered this on a few posts) the tutorials I used in creating this map were Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map, Simple Mountains in GIMP, and Making Photo-realistic Trees in GIMP. The basic sea texture was enhanced by adding a layer of Render>Plasma at the highest settings, desaturated and then adjusting the color levels to even out the texture.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll keep updating as this gets better and better =)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    I'm still working on how to fit things in with "proper" geography while keeping the integrity of the story that goes with the continent. The northern fork of the river.... well let's just say I didn't know that rule at the time haha.
    Don't worry; not many mappers do. And, for just that
    reason, I'll be publishing a guide for scientifically
    accurate mapping very soon.

Again, best of luck
    Foremost
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

So still working on this map, don't have an update to post right now. Mostly trying to work on labeling and the headache of finding a way to do it that I like. I found some icons that I really like and seem to work with my map pretty well, but still need to contact the person that made them to ask permission to use them. In the mean time, does anyone know of any realistic looking town/city icons that they like and that are free to use?