Thread: Ancient Greek

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sorry no, but it does remind me of funny a story a friend once told me. He had a friend who was travelling to Greece and wanted to learn the language. He went to the local library and found a book on learning greek and studied it. When he got to greece he was at Pireaus and asked some guys at the warf about the time of the next boat to an island he wanted to travel to. They fell about laughing. Turns out he had learned middle Greek so to our ears what he said would have sounded like: 'Prithee, cans't thou tell me what time a boat will travel to yonder isle?'

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Sorry no, but it does remind me of funny a story a friend once told me. He had a friend who was travelling to Greece and wanted to learn the language. He went to the local library and found a book on learning greek and studied it. When he got to greece he was at Pireaus and asked some guys at the warf about the time of the next boat to an island he wanted to travel to. They fell about laughing. Turns out he had learned middle Greek so to our ears what he said would have sounded like: 'Prithee, cans't thou tell me what time a boat will travel to yonder isle?'
    I had a classmate who did something like that, only he some how managed to study old English instead. That was a very confusing first year in an English speaking country for the poor guy. (When he first introduced himself, we thought he was speaking German.)