Thread: December Entry: Wyrm Sign

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

That's a really nice map GP. Does it take a lot of time to do a map like that? It just seems to me like it would be very hard to do (I don't know how to do one like that myself )

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Yeah, Maptools can do all of that, but I just prefer no grids. I think the maps look better without them and I play old school 2nd ED and don't need them. If I do need to have a grid on a map I'm making, I try to make it as subtle as I can. Of course, that's just my preference, I know many people use the grids. So, make the map the way you want it to look, and if there happens to be a map with no grid as well, then I will be a happy mapper!
    Yay! Another gridless player!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    That's a really nice map GP. Does it take a lot of time to do a map like that? It just seems to me like it would be very hard to do (I don't know how to do one like that myself )
    Lukc - ask any of the oldies here at the Guild - I'm the world's fastest mapper, at least that's my reputation. I did all this today, in between jobs at work, and then after supper for an hour. I've probably got 2.5 hours of work in this so far. Its the software, knowing how to use the software, having the right photo textures, knowing techniques to get the water, rock piles, treasure as I want them and it's a fast paced creation process that I am used to. I run a graphics shop in the daytime, by myself, and have to work at high speed while maintaining quality of work. It's what I do, so that translates to quickly created maps - I couldn't do it slow if I wanted to...

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    Yay! Another gridless player!
    When I do the final version at the end, I'll post 3 versions of the map. The first one will be the gridded version and comprise of the final entry, however, I will also post a non-gridded version, as well as one separated in 2 layers - one as cave walls, and one as everything else, for ease of use for VTTs.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-09-2011 at 03:05 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Here's the final map with details - done. Though I still need to create grids and labels. Next I'm going to work on a fancy border. I see using Anglo-saxon styled jewelry styled corner pieces, then a celtic knotwork styled border as a frame. I may also include a story below this map, attached to the same piece - something to do tonight!

I added the princess platform near the entrance, placed a half submerged small ballista in the cave pool - a failed assault on the dragon from the past, and dung and 'pee' puddle in the offal chamber to the top right. Also, I decided to replace the color of the background from that light parchment to a dark gray - I think it draws the eye towards the caverns itself, more than the other color ... moving right along!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragons-lair-even-more.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	998.8 KB 
ID:	40502
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations