Thread: I want a long-term relationship with a Cartographer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wow I really thought I'd get more interest. To clarify I'm looking to pay around $20 an hour for the early maps, and then hopefully more later.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Hello, I don't know if you will like my maps, but here we go https://www.artstation.com/naglisgrasmanas if you want you can contact me on gmail. You can find it in my portfolio, if you won't choose me, well then good luck to you on finding one that fits, and to other cartographers, that will draw your world.
    P.S I work with a dip pen, but I can work with a rapidograph as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudanonymous View Post
    Wow I really thought I'd get more interest. To clarify I'm looking to pay around $20 an hour for the early maps, and then hopefully more later.
    It may be more limited because it sounds like a gigantic project spanning an unknowable time frame for a vaguely stated paycheck. Rather than an hourly rate, do you have a total budget in mind per map, because the number of hours will vary substantially with how in-depth you wish to be with details. You could also provide a reference satellite map that indicates what level of detail is required. Plus, not every map artist likes to get involved with technical world building aspects like climate and geology...it can take a lot more time to think that out than to render information that's already there to draw. It all sounds like a very large time investment. That said, it also sounds like a really cool project for someone who has the time.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    It may be more limited because it sounds like a gigantic project spanning an unknowable time frame for a vaguely stated paycheck. Rather than an hourly rate, do you have a total budget in mind per map, because the number of hours will vary substantially with how in-depth you wish to be with details. You could also provide a reference satellite map that indicates what level of detail is required. Plus, not every map artist likes to get involved with technical world building aspects like climate and geology...it can take a lot more time to think that out than to render information that's already there to draw. It all sounds like a very large time investment. That said, it also sounds like a really cool project for someone who has the time.
    I guess that's fair. It's not like you're going to get paid at the end though, I'll pay whatever arrangement is normal, something like sketch = 50% then 50% on completion of each map. And it's not like I can make you continue, if you're sick of the project you can bug out. And it's not going to come in one huge murderous chunk, there's a couple maps at the start, then another map every once in a while, so to me it's seems ideal to someone who is a serious hobbyist or else trying to make money off cartography.

I can cede that if you don't enjoy technical aspects of worldbuilding it's not interesting, though most of the regular comission takers regularly seem to post with worldbuilding thoughts in various other threads in my totally non-scientific survey (I have been lurking around for a while).

I don't mean to argue with you, I just thought a writer wanting to put mapmaking into the story as an integral part would be exciting to people.

I can cede that if you don't enjoy technical aspects of worldbuilding it's not interesting, though most of the regular comission takers regularly seem to post with worldbuilding thoughts in various other threads in my totally non-scientific survey (I have been lurking around for a while).

I don't mean to argue with you, I just thought a writer wanting to put mapmaking into the story as an integral part would be exciting to people.
    There's definitely a lot who are. It's fascinating and fun...and it can also continue pretty much without end if you want it to, or let it.
    It is an intriguing way to weave a story. I'm sure you'll get more replies wandering in over the next week if you don't close it by then. I'm tempted, myself.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

It's not that it's disinteresting to me, your initial post just raised a couple of things I've found to be red flags and so a response would have taken more effort to craft to clear those items up, rather than a variant of my usual 'check out my fantasy map portfolio'. You may admire my art if you like. You are of course also welcome to contact any specific cartographers whose art you love who may not have posted in this thread!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!