Thread: Intro

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wow. I hope he at least judges based on the content rather than the execution! I can imagine just how... popular that dictate is going to be. That said, impeccable execution can only help. Realistically, how much time have you got over that two weeks, and how complex a situation are you trying to portray?

I take it you're well versed in geologic maps as a user? If you have in mind exactly what you want, "just" getting it down on paper or a screen is doable. Especially things like cross-sections. By the way, is your finished product to be paper or electrons? How capable is your computer? What form is your data in, and what kind of map output do you need? You may not be able to xerox existing maps, but if you show us what you're aiming at, we can advise. While most of us are fantasy mappers, manymanymany of us are general map geeks, and there are a few real geologists, mariners, geographers, and surveyors here.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Wow. I hope he at least judges based on the content rather than the execution! I can imagine just how... popular that dictate is going to be. That said, impeccable execution can only help. Realistically, how much time have you got over that two weeks, and how complex a situation are you trying to portray?

I take it you're well versed in geologic maps as a user? If you have in mind exactly what you want, "just" getting it down on paper or a screen is doable. Especially things like cross-sections. By the way, is your finished product to be paper or electrons? How capable is your computer? What form is your data in, and what kind of map output do you need? You may not be able to xerox existing maps, but if you show us what you're aiming at, we can advise. While most of us are fantasy mappers, manymanymany of us are general map geeks, and there are a few real geologists, mariners, geographers, and surveyors here.

It needs to be as professional as possible. He is a very harsh grader. I work but only part-time so I can spend a little time on this. I need to create a map showing the Coastal Plain and the general vicinity of its boarders with scale. I also need insets for the Virginia Coastal Plain and the Tunstall, Va area. Then an inset for the area where the drill sites are. I will then need to make 2 tables which I have done non-proffesionally for my proposal to do the research (which was graded and returned). All of his comments were about the figures. Too many scanned figures, make your own. They should be close to the size of a standard sheet of paper or at least 1/2 and the paper will be submitted both electronically and in paper form. As far as the capability of my computer, I am bot sure. It is a Lenovo Think Pad with only a year of use on motherboard.