Thread: September/October Entry: City of Iscarleau

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I was finally able to find some time to work on this map and I have basically started playing with the textures.
    I discovered how useful the smudge tool is for the river, made the lake and added a basic background texture.I'm not happy with how the lake came out and the ground texture looks a bit weird in my opinion but I haven't played with it yet so I'll leave it for the next update.
    My biggest concern though is if the buildings are or are not out of scale as I have know experience on regional or city maps.
    C&C welcome and appreciated(and this time I think needed)
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The City of Iscarlaue phase 10.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	29822

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Avengeil View Post
    I was finally able to find some time to work on this map and I have basically started playing with the textures.
    I discovered how useful the smudge tool is for the river, made the lake and added a basic background texture.I'm not happy with how the lake came out and the ground texture looks a bit weird in my opinion but I haven't played with it yet so I'll leave it for the next update.
    My biggest concern though is if the buildings are or are not out of scale as I have know experience on regional or city maps.
    C&C welcome and appreciated(and this time I think needed)
    looking good. you could try varying the colors on your riverbanks (depending on the depth of the river) I like my banks to be really defined as it helps depict the depth and "flow" of the river. Also if the roads are dirt you could outline them with a large fuzzy brush at a low opacity to make them look like they have been "carved" into the terrain over the years. I also really like your water nice job!!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I think the ground texture looks wierd because it is not the right scale. Can you scale down the texture in GIMP? Looking at that texture I would expect the buildings to be much bigger.
    The river looks for like fake fur, than water to me .

You have a lot of space to fill and getting that all to flow and balance without detracting from the town can be quite a challenge. If you have a clear idea of how you are going to do the landscape and how it will compliment the city, thats great. ( Excuse me for butting in early) If not, ask yourself the question: how is all that space going to compliment and draw the viewers eye to the town? As the town is the main focus of the map.

In your poor area the buildings are very hap-hazzard and look like they have been randomly scattered. I imagine even in a slum, people put a bit more thought into where they place their structures. I would also imagine that in poorer areas buildings would be built up against existing structures to save on costs.

I hope that is helpful.

AP
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..