Thread: Hmm... Really big walls?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It depends on what the wall is meant for. If it is meant to keep people in then it will go to all extremes to do so. If it is meant to keep out the Huns then it will have to cross the plains. If you're keep keeping the orges up in the mountains then wall off the passes. Need more info on what the wall is for really.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

A couple things to bear in mind:

1) The Great Wall wasn't built all at once; it actually consists on many different walls, built by different Emperors (and I think even two different dynasties, but I can't remember for sure.) Your wall probably wasn't built and conceived as a complete system, either, so feel free to make layers of walls to represent the changes that took place as the wall was constructed.

2) Ascension has some good points about the targets. Walls designed to stop armies are different from walls designed to stop people. If you're trying to stop armies (or horse-borne nomads) then large stretches of gateless, unfortified walls might work well. If you're trying to stop people, then you'll need garrisons, which will need supplies (probably near roads or rivers where food and other supplies could be more easily transported.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    It depends on what the wall is meant for. If it is meant to keep people in then it will go to all extremes to do so. If it is meant to keep out the Huns then it will have to cross the plains. If you're keep keeping the orges up in the mountains then wall off the passes. Need more info on what the wall is for really.
    As for what this particular wall is for... Originally, it was made to stop frequent barbarian raids on the nearby villages. Similar to the purpose of the Great Wall. However, this was... many ages past in my world's history. Over the past couple thousand years, the wall has more than likely been modified to allow for trade and the like. The nation that built it hasn't even warred with the barbarians, who are now a touch more civilized than in the days of the wall's groundbreaking, in some 400 years, in fact!