Thread: My New Terra ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well, Naima, I was kinda of curious to see what you would come up to, after a couple of weeks of obvious research and time investment. Not a bad outcome at all. I didn't spend much time trying to resolve your tectonics (that's your job, isn't it ). But I could see some obvious marks - here's what I think:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pointers.gif 
Views:	276 
Size:	441.7 KB 
ID:	65840

A and B parts of the main north central continent are splitting - you said it you wanted that as well, and it's pretty clear.
    Under A, there is a continent with a northern mountain range - it could be a north moving continent, "eating up" the sea between it and A.
    South of letter B you have a clear ocean region, with island chains to the west and the east, so it would be something like I scribbled - dunno about its south boundary.
    The Ocean west of B is closing on its northern half (both continents B and the one of the West have significant mountain ranges next to the ocean, that hints subduction), but it could still be opening on the south half (the question marks indicate that it will depend on the movement of those two continents)
    The continents on the east side of the map appear to be a kind of recent split, as they still fit very well. Therefore, it's a natural place to install a divergent boundary.

As I said before a lot of times, these are free-to-take-or-ignore suggestions. Just hope it helps the kick off

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Well, Naima, I was kinda of curious to see what you would come up to, after a couple of weeks of obvious research and time investment. Not a bad outcome at all. I didn't spend much time trying to resolve your tectonics (that's your job, isn't it ). But I could see some obvious marks - here's what I think:

Name:	pointers.gif 
Views:	276 
Size:	441.7 KB 
ID:	65840

A and B parts of the main north central continent are splitting - you said it you wanted that as well, and it's pretty clear.
    Under A, there is a continent with a northern mountain range - it could be a north moving continent, "eating up" the sea between it and A.
    South of letter B you have a clear ocean region, with island chains to the west and the east, so it would be something like I scribbled - dunno about its south boundary.
    The Ocean west of B is closing on its northern half (both continents B and the one of the West have significant mountain ranges next to the ocean, that hints subduction), but it could still be opening on the south half (the question marks indicate that it will depend on the movement of those two continents)
    The continents on the east side of the map appear to be a kind of recent split, as they still fit very well. Therefore, it's a natural place to install a divergent boundary.

As I said before a lot of times, these are free-to-take-or-ignore suggestions. Just hope it helps the kick off
    Heeheh...Thankyou really helpfull ...

The fact is that the only bits I remember from my map are from the "mediterranean basin in A , surrounded with the Square ....
    lol and not even very well .
    I was wonderng if the Lands do look "natural" in the shapes since I made most of them by hand , Glad that the mountains do have a meaning . I can add and remove mountain ranges as well according to how they shoudl be moving or the like ... I will highlight in blue the areas who's shape I am not convinced if look natural ..
    by natural I mean like real life geography coastlines and shapes, . For the moment I want to keep the Tectonics at the very preliminary stage like thinking just of possible split/crush areas and possible plaques , then in the second phase decide what and how should be improved them to efine ...
    I will post here my new edited map , no geographic changes though yet .

Name:	hELIUM2.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	65841

The blue circled areas are regions I am not sure if I shoudl completely change , remove or just reqork the coastlines
    the Purple arrows suggest a possible rotation of those areas ( to be done by hand , not relative to the tectonics ) for making them look better
    The red lines I called striped lands .. I dunno how to call them but by remembering how the real Earth is done I refer to areas like the Aleutine islands the connection between Kamkatcha and Alaska , those kind of small island circles or Australia - Indonesia or Antarctica - South America

The other doubt I have is if I put too much land , I want a proportion of 70% but since I hand painted most of it I amnot sure so I was thinking to move also G continent toward more west or eventually Flipping it on horizontal side? Move C toward west .... D to follow a kind of circular shape and become a sort of tail of the northenr Continent , Flip B and rotate to give a northern concavity , As for E I wanted to give a sort of tectonic shape resemblance of the south incavity of H .
    What worries me the most though its the western coast of A and F , that it seems to me kind of innatural for some reason , also perhaps couse seems I can't paint well on the north pole ....

This map shows