Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
I sort of agree with what you are saying... except the part I quoted. Saying that WotC did it because they specifically wanted to target MMOs has a number of problems:

First, it's basically an exercise in trying to guess someone's intentions, which is silly. Do you work at WotC? Do you know anyone that does? What indication is there that this is *why* they did it? Just looking sort of the same is not enough.

Hoho!!!!!!!!!

Finally a Question that YES, YES I CAN ANSWER!

Yes, WotC DID do this to compete with the WoW type games, etc.

And how do I know this? While I won't say I have played at their house or we go to movies together, or anything of that kind, I CAN say I have sat and chatted with people like Rob Heinsoo and Andy Collins personally at events like Gen Con and D&D XP (Their personal we are gonna do nothing but play D&D ALL DAMN WEEKEND! con in February). Both are listed on the credits page as the design team along with James Wyatt, and I cannot remeber if I talked with him

So WotC looked at things in the WoW (and similar things like Everquest and Guildwars and other MMOs) and said what works there that we can represent on the tabletop?

Again, from personal conversations with them.