Thread: *** January Challenge - Map for a Game ***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Hi there

So... "Monopoly" can copyright their game, but not the use of the word "Monopoly"? I didn't know Microsoft tried that. That's fun info. :p

Actually, it makes more sense that way. There's tons of books with REALLY similar titles, by different authors, (and often, very similar storylines/characters) so it makes sense that other forms of media would be the same way.

And I didn't mean to single out your entry, lol, it was simply the only entry (and what got me started thinking) and I didn't know how else to explain what I was wondering. I'm sorry if that upset you in anyway, and thanks for helping with your explanation.

Now if I could convince someone to do my rise of nations idea... (Since I would have no idea how to begin, lol)

Anyway, thanks again, everyone!

~Jalyha

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Hi there

So... "Monopoly" can copyright their game, but not the use of the word "Monopoly"? I didn't know Microsoft tried that. That's fun info. :p

Actually, it makes more sense that way. There's tons of books with REALLY similar titles, by different authors, (and often, very similar storylines/characters) so it makes sense that other forms of media would be the same way.

And I didn't mean to single out your entry, lol, it was simply the only entry (and what got me started thinking) and I didn't know how else to explain what I was wondering. I'm sorry if that upset you in anyway, and thanks for helping with your explanation.

Now if I could convince someone to do my rise of nations idea... (Since I would have no idea how to begin, lol)

Anyway, thanks again, everyone!

~Jalyha
    Why don`t you start by looking The Settlers of Catan? Might give you a headstart.
    Think about it, Rise of Nations is a game about domination right? By Culture, Military or Diplomacy. So start by that, you objective is to destroy other nations.
    You choose between lets say 10 nations, each one with bonus (China high population / EUA big military / Japan Robotics, etc that`s up to you).
    By combat you don`t have to reinvent the wheel, start with something simple like Risk, you use dices, if your dices are bigger, you win the battle, fight, war etc.

Just let your imagination do the rest, you have many elements from videogames that can be used in boargames, and vice-versa. Hope I could help in some way.
    See this site for some references:
    BoardGameGeek | Forum | BoardGameGeek

Board Game Design:
    From Zero to Pitch: A Walkthrough for Game Designers ? Game Development ? Tuts+ Tutorials

Man but time flies by. I'd really like to participate in this, and I have already started with my board, but I'm not sure if I have time to finish it... Wouldn't want my first challenge to fail =).