Thread: Anyone know what happened to Dundjinni?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I was just at the site and everything appears to be up and running.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I was just at the site and everything appears to be up and running.
    Wish that was true...the web site and forum is working but the store is nonfunctional.

Dundjinni appears to be fading away ... slowly ... unfortunately. The current version, 1.07, was released in 2004, in other words, six years ago. Shortly afterward, Dundjinni Enterprises started releasing a lot of advance material on the coming Version 2.0, which existing users, at least, awaited eagerly. However, about two years ago, an announcement appeared - well buried in the Dundjinni forums - that further development of Version 2.0 had been delayed indefinitely. That was rather a letdown, because Dundjinni is great for making dungeon plans and encounter scenes, but it is problematical if one wants to make village and city maps or overland maps. One hoped that Version 2.0 would address those shortcomings. The user forums are the one really active area of the Dundjinni website. They were down for about three months in summer but are working again. The store still is lost on another plane. Unfortunately, I'm rather convinced that if no one buys and revives Dundjinni, that the product probably is making a slow and painful exit from the stage. Redrobes mentioned a number of alternatives in his posting. After testing several programs, our project group chose Fractal Mapper 8 from NBOS for mapping our Dungeons Daring (TM) RPG and our Jörðgarð (TM) campaign setting. If you're interested in FM8 and want to take a thorough but free look at it, make three free downloads:

1) Go to http://www.nbos.com/download/download-trial.htm#FM and download the free trial version of FM8. It's crippled, so that you can't save maps, and it has a smaller symbol library than the retail version, but other than that, it's complete and functional.

2) Go to http://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1001&id=125 and download the complete FM8 manual/tutorial free in PDF form. Work your way through it. It's an excellent work.

3) Go to http://www.nbos.com/vintyri/pdftu01.zip and download our free FM8 Raster Mapping Tutorial in PDF form. After you've done the NBOS material (No. 2 above), this one will take you on and teach you how to make Dundjinni style maps in FM8.

Why we chose FM8:

We had mapped our previous OGL products with CC2 and CC2 Pro from ProFantasy. We were pretty happy with CC2 Pro. The only problem we had with it were quite a number of complaints from some of our users over CC2's steep learning curve. However, the era of vector symbol mapping that CC2 did was passing and raster mapping became the map standard in most of the RPG business. We thoroughly tested CC3, which can make raster maps, but we rejected it because it is totally incompatible with our open source map concept. We also wanted to spare our users the high learning curve. We found that FM8 served our needs better than the other programs we tested, and also that on raster mapping level, it can turn out any map that CC3 can turn out with less work and in less time. We continue to be delighted with our choice.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project