Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Wolves Fall Castle

Err, a late comment. I've been semi-following this but been busy this week past. It's a great looking map, my only (picky) point is that your walls are all dual crenelated but shouldn't be. The reason why is that if the attackers breach an outer bailey, it gives them a fortified position to hide behind.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Err, a late comment. I've been semi-following this but been busy this week past. It's a great looking map, my only (picky) point is that your walls are all dual crenelated but shouldn't be. The reason why is that if the attackers breach an outer bailey, it gives them a fortified position to hide behind.
    I have to say your right.. I knew there wasn't something quite right but I could not see it.. Its a small oversight, but one that could be game changing for attackers.. Either way I have always liked JT's stuff..

Amazing job on...thought your first draft was excellent, but this new version is even better.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

The Wolves Fall Line castles were not originally designed to use any magic as defense. King Gired Baras was suspicious of magic and felt that the castles were too important to depend on the whims of a magic user. Later kings have softened on this position due to the Watch Wizards efficiency and dedication to the defense of the kingdom. Now each of the castles of the line are outfitted with quarters for a Watch Wizard. While they have never been called into use, the Lord Generals and the king are both happy they are there....
    Excerpt from "The Wolves Fall Line: A study" by: Gerro Milet Professor of Military History University of Riverhewn

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Larb I realize that it might not be historically accurate but I like the way the double crenelation looks. Besides if anyone breaches the outer bailey there are plenty of ways to deal with them...

Thanks ruff

This is the first of the internal views of the Wolves Fall Castle. The top floor of the Northwest tower is the apartments of the resident "Watch Wizard" (The Watch Wizards are a group of magic users whose purpose is the defense of the kingdom) They specialize in defensive and offensive spells and are under the orders of the Lord General and the king. I have begun with the floor and some lighting effects. I haven't actually shown the windows of the tower only the light streaming in. It is brighter in the Northwest as that is where I have decided to place the light source (in this case the sun). I will be making as many of my own elements as possible for this.The tower shape is my re-work of Jacktannery's re-work of Kergon's original tower. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watch Wizards Apartments.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	764.6 KB 
ID:	49708
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

Watch Wizards are not mages. They are not effete whimsical creatures prone to chasing ancient words on dusty pages. They are not stylish nor pompous nor vain. They are not scholars nor teachers. They are soldiers. As sure as a cavalry man uses his horse and a infantryman uses his sword, Watch Wizards use their magic. Make no mistake. You are a soldier and you will live and you will die as a soldier....
    Excerpt from Watch Wizard Training as written by Lord General Vitor Lellon

A small update. I never realized how hard it is to make a spiral staircase. I played with this for several hours before I got something I liked. The actual construction isn't bad it's showing that the staircase goes somewhere that is the trick. I finally got it decent by adding some shadows and creating a sort of "raised platform". As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Views:	161 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	49721
    Last edited by jtougas; 11-07-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

The Watch Wizards were drilled in the martial arts just as a new recruit to the infantry might be. They were made to run and jump and grapple and fight bare handed. They were also required to practice their magic. This caused a very high rate of failure. Most of the recruits that joined the Watch Wizards failed and were sent away. This did not bother Lord General Lellon in the least. He was creating soldiers in his eyes no matter what their choice of weapon....
    Excerpt from The Watch Wizards: A Historical Study by: Gerro Milet Professor of Military History University of Riverhewn

Today's Update: I started to "furnish" the apartment today. I created a curved bookshelf to maximize space in the apartment (and plus if I do say so myself I think it looks pretty cool. I'll make it available in my Mapping Elements thread. I also added a desk with various things on it. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Object Credits:
    Chair: Bogie Dundjinni
    Books: Greytale Greytales Nook
    Books: Kepli Dundjinni
    Quill & Inkpot: Targeteron Dundjinni
    Scroll & Spellbook: katmagli Dundjinni

Views:	482 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	49731
    Last edited by jtougas; 11-08-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

The type of magiks used by The Watch Wizards are (as much of information on the military in the kingdom) a closely guarded secret. It can be inferred that they hold powerful defensive and offensive spells. No castle of the Wolves Fall Line has ever been directly attacked so no record of battle exists. It is also inferred that the Watch Wizards keep their own counsel as to their opinions of the duty they undertake....

Excerpt from Watch Wizards: A historical study by Gerro Milet Professor, Military History of the University of Riverhewn.

Another update. I have mostly finished "furnishing" this apartment. I have created a "bog" (even watch wizards have to go... ) and have added a fireplace. I have also given the wizard somewhere to sleep. I created the bed and the fireplace but I'm not 100% certain whether I like them or not. As always feedback is requested and appreciated

*EDIT* as soon as I posted the image I realized I didn't like the "bog" it was a weird shape and didn't fit. I removed it and updated the image.

Views:	147 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	49739
    Last edited by jtougas; 11-08-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Updated Image

Finished Maps

Regarding the spiral staircase, you could put an angle gradient over it set to multiply, so that the lower areas are darker. Here's a quick sample of how that looks:

Name:	stairs.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	49742
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Regarding the spiral staircase, you could put an angle gradient over it set to multiply, so that the lower areas are darker. Here's a quick sample of how that looks:
    What a great idea. I hardly ever use gradients as they are something that I don't really understand yet. I'm assuming that you use PS to illustrate your point. I had to figure it out in GIMP but it wasn't all that hard. I think I achieved a result very similar to yours after some trial and error. Thanks so much for the tip.

Here is the updated image with Midgardsormr's suggestion applied.

Views:	128 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	49744

Finished Maps

Looking good JT. The bookcase is nice!

Good idea for the gradient shadow Midgardsormr. On the stairs I made I darkened each step one at a time. This looks much more efficient.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast