Thread: Orchard Isles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Great map... I was interested in it largely because of your young players.

I also run a kids' campaign (for 3.5 D&D) - the players are my 13 yr old daughter, 10 yr-old son, and two friends (ages 13 and 12)... they play a "classic" group of characters (Fighter, Rogue, Cleric and Wizard[Witch]) and are now 5th level after 18 months play.

The Greenstone Campaign uses the colours of the rainbow as the basis for the setting.

Greenstone a small island realm that is just a tiny part of a larger campaign world (Silverdawn). Greenstone, "The Isle of Adventure", was intended as a starting area for younger players and is thus very cliched and simplistic.

I used a colour of the rainbow for each of the seven realms:

RED: Esdrath, THE WITCH-QUEEN'S DOMAIN
    ORANGE: The Deepheart DWARVEN MINES
    YELLOW: THE HORSEPLAINS of Ruhn
    GREEN: THE ELVENHOME of Llandor
    BLUE: The Narabar PIRATE COVES
    INDIGO: THE GIANTS' COAST of Nordheim
    VIOLET: THE KINGDOM of Highcrest

The isle of Greenstone is named after the large, moss-covered boulder at its centre that was the site of the first pact between men, dwarves and elves.

The pictures in the frames (all by Claudio Pozas, available on CD) are of the rulers of the seven areas, while those in the four corners are the main NPCs. Clockwise, from top left, these are: Anston, The Arch-Bishop, a high ranking clergyman with an evil secret; Mordrath, the Shadow-King, the defeated arch-enemy of men, dwarves and elves (and father of...); Esderalda, The Witch-Queen, the arch-enemy of the setting, exiled from the Kingdom; and lastly Caen, The Emerald Wizard, the DM's persona in Greenstone.

To continue the rainbow theme, the characters are seeking seven ancient treasures (Sword, Shield, Helm, Magic Map, Ring, Cloak and Belt), one for each colour, that were once used to defeat the Shadow-King and which must now be used to overcome the Witch-Queen, his daughter.

The 'magic map' (the Green treasure) may sound out of place compared to the others, but it can reveal the locations of the other six... and allows the characters to teleport to that location (or nearby)...

Arcane magic is divided into seven colour types; arcane magic-users who are focussed on one colour are called "Wizards" (e.g. Enchanters are Blue Wizards, Diviners are Green Wizards), but those who use magic from all seven Schools are called "Mages", and wear white robes (since combining all seven colours gives white). There is a forbidden school of magic use which is, of course, the black school, necromancy.

Divine magic is also linked to colours and the number seven - there are two main gods (Astra, of Good [white]; and Umbra, of Evil [black]), both of these have seven lesser gods as followers: Saints for Astra and Scions for Umbra.

There are also seven colours of dragons.... as well as undead dragons (or Dracoliches), aslo called Black Dragons. There are rumours that in the far past the Silver Dragons were corrupted to create the seven chromatic types...

But I'm rambling now...

Suffice to say the kids are having fun, and their campaign has restored my somewhat jaded view of RPGs' after 25+ years of DMing.

Carl Green (Caen)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GREENSTONE POSTER MAP.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	15982