Thread: Pre-Cataclysmic World (Pangea-type map)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Interesting idea! I would be careful with the textures you use. The current one looks like dried up and cracking mud which makes the landmass feel pretty small. I would try to sample textures from real places instead. The inside of the continent is more likely to be dry and the outside bits wetter I would guess. I would start with tectonic boundaries and plate directions to determine mountain ranges and such from that to determine your drainage basins. Since you are going the mythological route I guess you could do whatever you want geologically.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Interesting idea! I would be careful with the textures you use. The current one looks like dried up and cracking mud which makes the landmass feel pretty small. I would try to sample textures from real places instead. The inside of the continent is more likely to be dry and the outside bits wetter I would guess. I would start with tectonic boundaries and plate directions to determine mountain ranges and such from that to determine your drainage basins. Since you are going the mythological route I guess you could do whatever you want geologically.
    Thanks. Yeah, that texture is just a temporary one. Just wanted to make the map look somewhat presentable for how bare it currently is. I'm torn between doing a straight overworld shot - or a 3/4 shot. I want it to have an artistic feel to it - while also being fairly accurate for geographic terrain. I actually REALLY like the style you used on your world map for Skenth - its a good marriage of artistic and accurate.