Thread: Lines Off set - Parallel in Photoshop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Sorry artearth, just seen this...not sure what you mean! Can you give me an example file to look at? I think I might learn something new here!
    Here's a quick and dirty tutorial on it. I'm using Photoshop CS5.

1.) basic photoshop image - background has the blue water, with the land mass on it's own layer
    2.) apply a bunch of layer effects. In this case, a drop shadow, outer stroke, bevel/emboss and gradient overlay
    3.) In the layer menu, right/control click on the list of effects (not the name of the layer, which brings up a different menu) and select "Create Layers."
    4.) Woah! Any layer effect which affects the interior of the layer (so an inner shadow, inner glow, bevel, overlay, inner stroke) will appear above the original layer using the layer as a clipping mask. Any layer effect which is external (outer shadow/glow, outer stroke) will appear as it's own layer below the original layer.
    5.) Keep playing - here I added an inside stroke to the original layer (thin black line to the inside) and a new outside stroke to the layer "Layer 1's Outer Stroke" which gives me three strokes in a row, any one or more or which I can disable. The original stroke has been rasterized and is no longer editable. I also created a very subtle effect where I used the new drop shadow layer as a mask revealing a cloud render, which would create a slightly less uniform drop shadow.

Hope that makes sense, and is useful. Here's also a use on a retro t-shirt design for our local brew pub (called Short's Brewing), where multiple strokes came in handy, and gave me a chance to play around with the balance and color before committing too deeply.

Name:  shortsretro.jpg
Views: 2050
Size:  10.6 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	createlayersmapping.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	287.3 KB 
ID:	53247

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

A technique for parallel lines that I've been playing with involves using Illustrator, and works really well if you want to put in the time. This is a quick version, I can do a longer one with images if folks think it would be useful.

1) cmd-click the layer with your land masses, bringing up a selection. Create a new layer and fill the selection with black. You should now have a silhouette of your land. Fill the remainder with white, then select all and copy.
    2) paste into Illustrator and trace image. Your aim is to get as accurate a reproduction as possible. Expand and delete the white bits so you have just the black left. Select all and mark the fill and stroke to none. If you have multiple land masses, you need to create a compound path: while everything is selected, click through to Object/Compound Path/Make (or Cmd+. (which for some reason keeps showing up as the "cool" emoticon. ???)
    3) while still selected, open the appearance panel and click "add new stroke." I made a 1pt in dark blue, which just outlines the edge of the land.
    4) keep going: select "add new stroke" and this time make it white, which will give you the space between strokes to create the effect. In this case I made it 2 strokes. This layer should go UNDER the previous layer or else it will cover it.
    5) black stroke, 2.5 pt; white, 3.5 pt; black, 4 pt; white; 5 pt. and on and on until you give up or are happy. When you're done and you love it, open the "Graphic Styles" window and create new graphic style. This will keep it forever so you don't have to rebuild it all the time.
    6) keep the land mass as no fill. Select all and copy. Paste into PS as pixels, make sure it's aligned with your original land mass, and then you can control the opacity and blending options to make it awesome. Multiply will work well. (There are likely other good ways to transfer the image, this may not be the best. I'd like to hear other ideas).

Here is an image of a huge coastline effect and the stroke values that made it. I'd be happy to post the graphic style so others can use it, but I don't know how to attach non-image files.

This is probably confusing. It's late and I'm done for the day. I'll check back and if y'all want more on this tutorial I'll spend some time on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coastlineexample.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	53249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coastlineappearance.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	53250