Thread: The Town of Southrun: Made with Larb's Town Tutorial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

One of the things I do when making maps where light and shadow matters is draw a little light bulb and some arrows indicating light direction. That way I don't forget (because I usually do otherwise).

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Town map is coming along nicely!
    Thanks Bogie.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    One of the things I do when making maps where light and shadow matters is draw a little light bulb and some arrows indicating light direction. That way I don't forget (because I usually do otherwise).
    You'd think after ALL the encounter maps that I've done I'd have a better grasp on lighting. I think the problem is that while I'm working on this I'm thinking of all the stories and adventures that have happened in this little town. Thanks for the tip I've applied it and at least now my shadows make sense.

As you can see I've removed all the trees for two reasons: 1. they looked a bit like green fruity pebbles and not so much like trees. 2. The shadowing was off and it made the whole thing look "wrong" I'm hoping to correct these issues for the next update. The good news is that the building shadows and shading are now making sense (I hope) I have the light direction coming from the bottom right of the map (Southeast) as if the sun were rising. (This is based on the planet of Oerth from the WoG which is Earth-like in it's rotation.) As I said above this little town has seen more than it's share of adventures since the creation of the setting. In fact the first time my character from my long running campaign set foot in the kingdom it was in Southrun. (There was a long and ardous journey through the Land of Iuz (this is very pre-Greyhawk Wars) and the Wolf Nomad Lands. Anyway before I get all carried away.... Feedback is requested and apprciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southrun.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	49993
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.