Thread: Wanna criticize my wip website?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

@Midgardsormr
    Wow, that looks really good! Prejudice crushed I might give locally installed Wordpress a try then!

@TimPaul
    The first, definitely. That's why I'm really picky about how the result looks. And then I stupidly made up my mind on how it's gonna look before finding out about the limitations of wysiwyg-editors…

@Gamerprinter
    That seems like a really impressive program… unfortunately it's not for mac and costs far more that I'm able to spend. I'd sure love to get it sometime in the future though.

So I'm still fiddling with Freeway Express, and almost everything turns out exactly like I want it – except it's missing one crucial function. It can't make the page auto-size itself to the viewer's browser window. I've been looking at the support forums and there are several people asking about the same thing, but it's not an option in that app. So I'm starting over again. My brother is sorta into coding, so I'm trying to bribe him into building the site in HTML for me… but I have no idea how long that's gonna take (he's more into Dota 2 than coding), so this weekend I'll probably by a domain and try to install Wordpress and maybe Modx and Joomla (two more friend recommendations) and see if I can build what I want with any of those.

Does anyone have opinions on the layout of the page or the design of the elements, by the way? Is it even something I should pursue?

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    @TimPaul
    The first, definitely. That's why I'm really picky about how the result looks. And then I stupidly made up my mind on how it's gonna look before finding out about the limitations of wysiwyg-editors…
    As a professional illustrator, who also teaches about the business side of freelancing, it's best to have a functional, presentable site, than a fancy bells and whistles. You don't really need more than a page, showing your best 8-12 maps examples. You might want to have more, like a blog section. But you should only put up what you are actually ready to put up. With a website you can always add more when you are ready.

The site is simply a means to show your work. Focus on that. The longer you take to get your site up and working, the longer you are waiting to get work.

Personally, I use wordpress. timpaulillustrations.com for illustration work, and timpaulmaps.com for map work.
    Last edited by TimPaul; 10-27-2013 at 12:46 PM.