Thread: Anyone have any tips for naming?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hi,

I've moved this thread to the Toponomy sub forum as you might find some ideas to answering your question here.
    Thanks for the move, i had no idea this section existed, before posting i looked around a bit but i was unaware that "toponomy" had to do with naming. (Even the generic spell checker that all websites use doesn't think its a word lol.) Now I'm off to read through old naming posts

Turns out i had a post in here from last year some time. Some good info in there that i missed.

Now that i know a general idea for who my races take after, i think naming wont be as hard. I think the ones that will trouble me are elves and those that have no earth backing. On the bright side, elves are such a loved race that there are tons of fan made languages to use as reference material. Same would go for dwarves too I'm sure.
    Last edited by lokiie1984; 04-11-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Guild Journeyer

You might be interested in this name generator: PBE Games: Namer

It uses dictionaries of names from various languages to build letter sequence / frequency graphs and generates new names based on the results. You can combine multiple language sources to tune the results (yes, this is a shameless plug for something I wrote ).