Thread: WIP (sort of tutorial to be) : Climates, applying Geoff's Cookbook at detail (some)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You’re probably right, we are just amateur for the most part so using real numbers will only make the process more complicated for a little gain in precision. And most people won’t notice it.
    Obviously, if I’m trying to make it simpler, I’m heading in the wrong direction !

So, I will probably have to review some of the combinations. Say, if a region is Very Hot/Hot in a season and Low in wetness, that roughly equates to "Dry" - and it would still be desert. Do you agree with this generalization?
    I’m not sure I understand the question. My main point was to say that in Koppen classification ‘’S’’ and ‘’s’’ are two different things.

S: second letter that indicates a steppe and only usable with first letter B
    s: also second letter but mean that the summer is dry. Maybe it’s possible to use it with B but for some reasons, it does not apply to deserts BW (because it rarely rain anyway) or steppes BS.

Very hot and dry season = desert or steppe

Since monsoon only occurs in summer the very hot season, it’s impossible to have a monsoonal climate with a hot and dry summer but wet winter. The only that comes to mind is AS but the dry season is only considered dry because the wet season is really rainy. So it’s not that dry.

So it’s either a hot desert or it could also be a hot semi-arid. He does not have to be subject to the monsoon. And if it’s not affected by monsoon, the wet season is also the coldest.
    So it means there are two types of hot arid climates, with different precipitation pattern, nice…

So, the consequence of this is that all regions with an Extreme Cold temperature should strictly be Taiga or Tundra?
    I guess so. Extreme would not be extreme if it applied to a large part of the world.
    This is about the coldest I've found in Dfc, Dwc, Dsc Krasnoyarsk Krai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Don't forget that the number are based on the monthly average. For example, it's possible to have a temperature of -50 in Manitoba (Dfb) or Mongolia but that's way below their average.

I get your point but, the thing is, how would you classify a region with Hot summers (over 22) and Cold winters, with sufficient wetness (that's "moderate" or above in the current rules). However, I see Hot+VeryWet Summers with Cold/LowRain Winters falling a bit awkwardly into Cwb - can you find a better fit?
    Well to start of, there is probably just one place on Earth with a Cwc climate based on the wiki map. Can you find it just by looking at the map ?
    It's possible to have it cover a larger area in a fantasy map but it won't be much. But you question is how to classify this climate ? :

Summer: Hot, very wet
    Winter : Cold, dry

Dwa maybe ? It's affected by the monsoon but I'm not sure it's wet enough

As for temperature and rain charts, you can see them in a previous post, I have the four side by side when explaining how to "find climate zones".
    Really? I mean the 2 central parts are really dry. But I can't say if you did something wrong with the precipitation pattern because that part is really hard for me.
    Last edited by Azélor; 07-19-2014 at 12:52 AM.