Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New Wolfe . . . Er, um Guy

Post The New Wolfe . . . Er, um Guy

So, I suppose I should offer some sort of introduction, yes?

Let's see, get the details out of the way first, right?

I've been Role playing and writing for nearly 25 years now and still haven't perfected either craft. For about the same amount of time, I've been an artist as well, but am further away from perfecting that craft than the previous two.

I got introduced to Fractal Terrains (and Campaign Cartographer) back in their early years, but after giving up on DnD (for Hero Systems) I started to drift away from CC and focused on FT. I'm currently working on several worlds and a few tutorials (well, actually just detailing my approach to world building) that I hope to put up on a host one of these days (basically when I find a local host that doesn't charge an arm, leg and my first born child).

My main focus right now is the development of a world for a series of stories and/or novels, and the sad part is, I will probably end up with more pages of stuff about the world than I will the stories. Go figure!

Anyways, I've had a chance to read through a few things here and really like what I see. Makes me wish I had joined the guild sooner, but, as they say, live and learn.

Greason

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

I hereby banish your 'Blue Pip O'Anonimity'! *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks for the "Welcome Aboards." I'm really looking forward to "working" with everyone and hearing what they have to say.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

You're only slightly greener than me, but the few days I have on you means that I can extend a welcome like I'm an old hand. Hello, then. I wanted to comment on this, though:

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    My main focus right now is the development of a world for a series of stories and/or novels, and the sad part is, I will probably end up with more pages of stuff about the world than I will the stories. Go figure!
    That's really the way of it, and the best way to create a believable experience for yourself and your readers. You don't show them, but you could if you had to, which makes your stories honest. It's also good to know that your character could change route at any point and you wouldn't be stuck with too many world-based loose ends or, even worse, inconsistencies.

But this really isn't the place for all that talk, I suppose. So, um. Make a damn map!
    Yes, I am obsessed with my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by melissah View Post
    But this really isn't the place for all that talk, I suppose. So, um. Make a damn map!

YEAH!! make a damn map... that goes for the lot of ya!(errr... where did the pirate talk come from??)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Geeze . . . Give me another year or two already! LOL

Actually, the map is in progress. It's slow going for me when it comes to the mapping process since I tend to bounce back and forth between physical creation and mythological creation. As I finish one area, I start looking at who might live in that area and how the environment has affected their social/cultural development.

At this point, I've managed to solidify what would be comparable to the Eurasian and African contents in our own world, but haven't started laying out any of the major mountain chains at this point. But, I suppose I could offer a little sample of what I've done so far . . . It isn't much yet, but as I continue to work on it, I'll probably start tossing pieces of it up here just for comments and suggestions.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Woah. As I command, so it is done. I am unstoppable!

Good start on your map, though. Have you thought of starting a thread for it? That way we could see the stages of it's development and you won't have to keep coming back to your newbie thread.
    Yes, I am obsessed with my dog.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yes please - start a WIP thread so we can follow it's development. Try and post a larger, higer-resolution version too (if possible).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast