Thread: Compass Rose Orientation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
    How about Lambert Azimuthal Equal-Area?

But so if I have my maps displaying a well marked Graticule I can use the rose as mostly decorative and not worry about direction?
    If you have a rose, it should be correct. If it can't be correct, you shouldn't have one at all. In fact you should avoid anything that might even be mistaken for one. Roses tend to be confined to navigational maps Thematic and reference maps don't normally have them.

Simple north arrows have looser tolerances but they are still not "purely decorative".

LAEA would depend on where the point of tangency is and the extent of the map, if the north pole is part of the map, my idea wouldn't work. If the scale is large enough and you are close to the point of tangency, the distortion will be negligible and you could use a rose safely.

Scale bars are similar, if the bar is not effectively correct for the whole map, you shouldn't have one. A global map should NEVER have a scale bar as it simply can't be correct for the whole map.

PS: A slight correction, Azimuthal Equidistant maps can justifiably have a scale bar even for very small scales but it only applies to distances along lines through the point of tangency, and this should be clearly indicated.
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 10-25-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    If you have a rose, it should be correct. If it can't be correct, you shouldn't have one at all. In fact you should avoid anything that might even be mistaken for one. Roses tend to be confined to navigational maps Thematic and reference maps don't normally have them.

Simple north arrows have looser tolerances but they are still not "purely decorative".

LAEA would depend on where the point of tangency is and the extent of the map, if the north pole is part of the map, my idea wouldn't work. If the scale is large enough and you are close to the point of tangency, the distortion will be negligible and you could use a rose safely.

Scale bars are similar, if the bar is not effectively correct for the whole map, you shouldn't have one. A global map should NEVER have a scale bar as it simply can't be correct for the whole map.

PS: A slight correction, Azimuthal Equidistant maps can justifiably have a scale bar even for very small scales but it only applies to distances along lines through the point of tangency, and this should be clearly indicated.
    OK so rose is out. Then I should be using a kartush for the map info.

"along lines through the point of tangency" Hmmmm...Nope lost me there
    Last edited by Nexis; 10-25-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
    "along lines through the point of tangency" Hmmmm...Nope lost me there
    Azimuthal projections are based on planes that just touch the globe. In math we call that "being tangent" and the point they touch is the "point of tangency"

Such projections get more distorted the further you get from that point. The details of the distortion depend on the projection.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Azimuthal projections are based on planes that just touch the globe. In math we call that "being tangent" and the point they touch is the "point of tangency"

Such projections get more distorted the further you get from that point. The details of the distortion depend on the projection.
    OK got it. Yes my maps don't go over a certain scale and they are made as the center of the projection so there should be no to little distortion.