Thread: Best Projection for a Ring World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Step back for a second. Consider this question:

How big is your ringworld?

If it's got the surface area of more than a dozen earths, here is my advice: Forget mapping it. You surely could automate it and produce a lot of random stuff but that is not compelling, and you will not map that much territory, ever. I have done some prototyping on "small" ringworlds - Banks orbitals - with a surface area of about 1100 earths and once you play around with the scale for even a few minutes you will see what I mean.

Just do regional maps. Honestly, a ringworld is only a gimmick anyway.

[Oops that was not the preview button..]

For everything else, just do flat maps and be done with it.

If your ring world is very small, you need to remember that you have issues with either "gravity" - created by centrifugal force - or day length. You'll also have really odd effects if the curvature is very tight. Flight paths of thrown objects, jumping/flying creatures etc.

I have done the math and if I recall correctly, a 1g ringworld with a 24h day/night cycle had a radius of 1.8 mio kilometers, and a surface area of the above-mentioned 1100 earths.
    Last edited by bartmoss; 04-09-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Step back for a second. Consider this question:

How big is your ringworld?

If it's got the surface area of more than a dozen earths, here is my advice: Forget mapping it. You surely could automate it and produce a lot of random stuff but that is not compelling, and you will not map that much territory, ever. I have done some prototyping on "small" ringworlds - Banks orbitals - with a surface area of about 1100 earths and once you play around with the scale for even a few minutes you will see what I mean.

Just do regional maps. Honestly, a ringworld is only a gimmick anyway.

[Oops that was not the preview button..]

For everything else, just do flat maps and be done with it.

If your ring world is very small, you need to remember that you have issues with either "gravity" - created by centrifugal force - or day length. You'll also have really odd effects if the curvature is very tight. Flight paths of thrown objects, jumping/flying creatures etc.

I have done the math and if I recall correctly, a 1g ringworld with a 24h day/night cycle had a radius of 1.8 mio kilometers, and a surface area of the above-mentioned 1100 earths.
    I've pretty much come to the same conclusion regarding mapping the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    You'll also have really odd effects if the curvature is very tight. Flight paths of thrown objects, jumping/flying creatures etc.
    Oddly enough, according to my maths, the ringworld would seem to be flatter than ours, only concaved!
    Regards,

RK