Thread: The Mages' Guild

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi, Claus, and thanks for posting this. Very, very good!

I agree with ravells about the paving stones, but I see them as part of a larger problem: random focus (sharpness) in some elements. For example, the paving tiles are in sharp focus, very crisp, whereas the stone path inside the walls is not. A few trees are sharp focused, but others aren't. Etc. If you are going for photorealism, either choose one level (ex: ground level) to be in sharp focus & slightly blur all others, OR blur or sharpen everything.

The shadows are also unrealistic if you are going for realism: where is the light source for this image? Even if directly above there should be shadows, etc. on the roofs.

Finally, the grunging of the map would add a lot. The grass, for example is too regular and "fill-like" for my tastes, as are the roofs, etc.

The grid on the stones outside the walls is also lost; how can you make it stand out? (Lighter color?)

Overall, this is a great image, one I would as a GM be proud to show my players, but if you do the above suggestions it would be eye-popping amazing!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Yes that's it....Don hit it on the head - it's the inconsistency between the crazy paving being so sharp and the the other soft focus elements which make it look a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Hi, Claus, and thanks for posting this. Very, very good!

I agree with ravells about the paving stones, but I see them as part of a larger problem: random focus (sharpness) in some elements. For example, the paving tiles are in sharp focus, very crisp, whereas the stone path inside the walls is not. A few trees are sharp focused, but others aren't. Etc. If you are going for photorealism, either choose one level (ex: ground level) to be in sharp focus & slightly blur all others, OR blur or sharpen everything.

The shadows are also unrealistic if you are going for realism: where is the light source for this image? Even if directly above there should be shadows, etc. on the roofs.

Finally, the grunging of the map would add a lot. The grass, for example is too regular and "fill-like" for my tastes, as are the roofs, etc.

The grid on the stones outside the walls is also lost; how can you make it stand out? (Lighter color?)

Overall, this is a great image, one I would as a GM be proud to show my players, but if you do the above suggestions it would be eye-popping amazing!
    Thanks for your input.

Yeah I kinda rushed the roof and the surrounding area. I think I will acually blur that area (to show that it's not an important area).

On the sharpness I think you mean contrast, and I agree.
    I agree on your point regarding the trees (even if I don't aim for photo realistic). I actually had a problem finding good trees. I made the large tree from a photograph.

I thought the shadows were quite ok but I know they are not perfect. I was thinking a quite soft sunlight (hazy?) from NW. Can you clarify please?

I had a thought about the grass and made it close to perfect - I imagined they have a gardener who keeps the grass in perfect condition.
    Last edited by Carnifex; 02-26-2008 at 03:37 PM.