Thread: OMG .... WOTC does it again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well, not to sound like a WotC Fanboy or anything, but the purpose of their VTT is not so much a top-down token on a flat table, but it is supposed to be representative of a 3-D environment. Cool if they can get it going, not so sure otherwise.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Well, not to sound like a WotC Fanboy or anything, but the purpose of their VTT is not so much a top-down token on a flat table, but it is supposed to be representative of a 3-D environment. Cool if they can get it going, not so sure otherwise.
    I think its actually more like an isometric token on a 2D plane. Do you have any screen caps of a 3d environment? I haven't seen any, but would love to see some if they have been able to get to that point.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    I think its actually more like an isometric token on a 2D plane. Do you have any screen caps of a 3d environment? I haven't seen any, but would love to see some if they have been able to get to that point.
    Yes, I have indeed seen it, at least the pseudo Beta.

It is supposed to work inconjunction with this:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...ctervisualizer

You can build a full 3-d Version of your PC here, and then import it into the Game Table.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...ider/gametable

Which you can see from the Screenies is panable.

Of course the DM uses the Dungeonbuilder:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...dungeonbuilder

To build the various encounters etc for the PCs to play in.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Yea, those are all the same images I've seen. Other than being able to move the camera around and a few "3d" objects I'm still only seeing a single plane for the actual gaming surface and why I said isometric tokens on a 2d plane. I can see that there are some edges here and there, but I would really like to see some true elevation examples of tokens on two different levels at the same time. I can tell that the engine can probably do that. I just haven't seen any examples. I'm also not a big fan of the whole MMORPG appearance of everything, but can appreciate that that is what is popular these days.

On a total side note, my daughter was talking to one of her friends at school and he mentioned "GM" and he went on to try to explain what one was. She stopped him mid sentence and not only told him that she knew what one was, but went on to say that I was a GM in some games, but that they were "Real Roleplaying Games". She made me so proud when she told me that. Her friends reply was "how can you have a roleplaying game without a computer and only with paper and dice?" She tried to explain it, but the poor kid couldn't figure out what she was explaining. It makes me sad that imagination is going the way of the Dodo.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Edit: RP posted while I was writing this.

Yep. From the screenshots on the Gametable page (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...ider/gametable) you can see that it is not isometric (note the perspective) and that the camera view is movable (see the last screenshot on the left for one that is almost from above).

However, the floorplan is essentially a 2D image that is pasted down that the 3D v-minis exist on top of. The maps are not 3D, but the objects that are placed on it are (and cost you money).

I guess the question is whether they will allow for the purchase of 3D components for map building, rather than just 3D set decoration. I can see that being something they might be able to do further down the line but I'm 100% certain that's not where it will be at release (whenever that is).
    Last edited by torstan; 11-10-2008 at 01:59 PM.

Blog Entries

I cant remember if I mentioned my general issue with the whole thing but its stayed the same for several years whilst we wait for the real app to launch.

My issue is that for me role playing games should be something you create and make your own. It has infinite diversity limited by just the imagination. Now making a map in 2D limits you a little to your art skills but anyone can draw something and get it into the PC. My issue is that with 3D, whist undoubtedly its better, its also waaay harder to get custom stuff made for it. You are now limited to what a few expert people have made for you. So basically a 3D role playing app really limits you as to what you can do with it. For one thing your back to generic blocks for all monsters that you don't have the 3D model of.

A good example of this is all the links above. If the character is a minotaur then your stuffed. They have a dungeon builder but I have yet to see even a glimmer of a wilderness creator. Also, towns and buildings which are probably the easiest to do I haven't seen yet. But really it does not matter because at some point your gonna want something that isn't provided for you and your gonna want to make it yourself.

I think its the intention of WotC that its hard and that they will provide them at a cost. I can understand that and don't disagree with it, but it would not be something that I would want to lock myself into. If I couldn't easily add and expand the models and range of stuff I could do with the app then its not in the spirit of what role playing was all about.

I think if they had done this pre VTT's and pre iTunes etc where people didn't fully understand the concept of DRM then I think it might have worked but I just don't think its going to float now.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

As for the wilderness and town maps - you can import any map you want as the base image - so you can have your 3D mini walking around on any map you like - the base image is not limited to things you can make with the dungeon builder.

The rest is entirely true. You only get the flashy 3D stuff if they have got around to making it, and if you are willing to stump up the cash for it. I agree that you should not limit players options on the basis of what you've got the v-minis for. Though that never stopped my players when we had lead models - you just pick another one and imagine it's your character. I'm sure the same will apply for most DMs with this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    As for the wilderness and town maps - you can import any map you want as the base image - so you can have your 3D mini walking around on any map you like - the base image is not limited to things you can make with the dungeon builder.
    You can see how these are two opposing points of view tho eh ? Right now, from all that I have heard it not very 3D for the environment and the interaction your character gets with it. Guess we'll have to wait a bit longer and see tho. If its not fully 3D then I see no benefit with it being 3D tokens on top. If it is fully 3D then they had better make it possible to create wilderness / buildings (and anything else you want) in proper 3D. Its the 2.5D ness that is bothering me where they are trying to sail this thin line between it being usable and cool at the same time where as I see it one has to compromise one for the other.