Thread: World of Kayphus

Post World of Kayphus

Kayphus.png

While I was fiddling around some more with Gimp 2, I noticed an interesting Utility that I haven't seen before and when I used it, it helped me with the creation of this map. I was glad I found it, because it might just help me with better map designs than I had previously attempted. I was wondering what you guys think of this submission?

it includes elevations, oceans, etc. Things I had issues putting in earlier. Kayphus was a realm I made up when I was feeling fantasy like and mystical, trying to think up of things while viewing the age of mythology forums at Heavengames, another forum I go to. Kayphus is practically something I just spewed out of nowhere and I managed to get a map along with it, which is cool. I will accept any feedback, suggestions, etc that you guys can offer and will try to improve in the future.

Also nice to see you guys again. It's been a while since I posted.

EDIT: I uploaded the wrong one and I had to edit the image into the one I was intending to upload.
    Last edited by Saladin; 05-29-2017 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Updating Image.
    “Maps codify the miracle of existence.” ― Nicholas Crane, Mercator: The Man Who Mapped the Planet

What was the utility?

I have another map that is part of that realm. I forgot about this one, but this time it looks like an old world map with even coffee stains on it. Check it out.

Old Map (Kayphus).png

It looks as if it was taken from the old colonial days in the age of sail era and I forgot to include that, so there you go. Looks good, doesn't it? It is still Kayphus, just altered... I think.
    “Maps codify the miracle of existence.” ― Nicholas Crane, Mercator: The Man Who Mapped the Planet

I'd recognize that anywhere! All you have to do is go file>create>patterns>land. Never thought to actually make a map with that. I see you have desaturated the image and added the coffee stain effect that's built into GIMP. This is looking interesting. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by LordCartoart View Post
    I'd recognize that anywhere! All you have to do is go file>create>patterns>land. Never thought to actually make a map with that. I see you have desaturated the image and added the coffee stain effect that's built into GIMP. This is looking interesting. Keep up the good work!
    Yeah I was--

Oh crap-baskets!

... Uh, yeah I was gonna say I did a little bit of drawing and some, no most of my drawings didn't work and then I stumbled onto this... Dammit, I am too obvious. Well, yes I figured out how to randomly generate a map and overlay some gradients to some maps look better than before. I was gonna replace the image, but apparently now everyone already knows what I did to make this.