Thread: Expanding my publishing horizons...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post A note about Johnn Four

Just for clarification, Johnn Four was one of my first Gamer Printshop customers, I've printed maps for him, laminated shipped boxes filled with published maps from boxed sets, have traded ads, sent him some of my early products where he did reviews on them. He's not just a known industry contact, he's truly a customer and associate, I've known for quite a while now. Sometimes I justed batted ideas back and forth through Emails, just for industry advice and such. I should have been working with someone like Johnn, instead of someone realitively new to me, like Dementia 5 Publishing.

I have a communication problem with D5 and their consistency of not meeting deadlines - which is my main problem with my current publisher, otherwise they are a fine company and I don't mean to slight them, its just we don't work well enough together to satisfy my publishing goals. The Gift may end up as a mini-campaign one off, without a follow up setting - things are up in the air at this point. (I am not hopeful.)

I should have started a publishing partnership with someone I knew well and trusted more - that's why my new project is going into Johnn Four's capable hands.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I have a communication problem with D5 and their consistency of not meeting deadlines - which is my main problem with my current publisher, otherwise they are a fine company and I don't mean to slight them, its just we don't work well enough together to satisfy my publishing goals. The Gift may end up as a mini-campaign one off, without a follow up setting - things are up in the air at this point. (I am not hopeful.)

I should have started a publishing partnership with someone I knew well and trusted more - that's why my new project is going into Johnn Four's capable hands.

GP
    That sucks... I was really hoping to see where it went... are you really in a situation where you can't continue it with someone else?
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Post Wow, its gonna be a 4e product!?

Since its known I'm a 3e or Pathfinder gamer and not a 4e gamer, I never thought I'd be creating content for 4e, but then that's the kind of product John Four and Yax (Mike Bourne) of Gamer Mastery blog creates.

So it looks like this 3 associated maps product will be for 4e, interesting.

On an aside, Johnn gave me his philosophy on making money selling RPG products. The secrets are to create easy and inexpensive to create, but high quality products that sell for no less than $15 each. Create multiple products over the year. Through advertising, blogging and other shared exposure, obtain 1000 loyal fans - which Johnn says is not that difficult to do.

You can expect loyal fans to spend one days pay, out of an annual income on your products, which averages $100 per year. This means 1000 fans at $100 each, or $100,000 per year - a decent income for being creative.

I hope things really work out that way, I need to make $100K per year for a change!

Thoughts?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Looks I've shoehorned my Gnomic Syndicate!

About 15 years ago, I had developed a race of gnomes, who comprised a racial thieves guild called the Gnomic Syndicate, unfortunately Star Trek TNG created the Ferengi, which is very much like my Gnomes.

1. Holy Codex is called the Gnomicon, similar to the rules of acquisition.
    2. Instead of an ear fetish, my gnomes have a boot fetish.
    3. Gnomes sponsor or found all thieves guilds of other races.
    4. Goal of the gnomes is the total fiduciary domination of all non-gnome races.
    5. They breed and sell human pleasure slaves.
    6. They steal, reverse engineer, improve and sell weapons technology.
    7. Shrinking pantheon of gods who through alliance and assassination kill off other gnome gods to rise in hierarchy.
    8. Fiduciary high priests are head of the syndicate, while Wizards and Sorcerers form the officer corps, rogues, bards and fighters at the bottom.

These are the guys, whom the Gnomic Vault map is all about.

Anyway, I've just talked Johnn Four into adding them as part of the Underworld Map set, to expand the resource - cool, cool!

Expected for publication early in 2010.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

I think the best thing you've got going for you GP is you obviously enjoy doing it and you make a good product.

good luck,

S

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd