Thread: Hello and Printing Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Let me say before I write this that I'm writing it from my phone, so please excuse any typos or choppy sentences.

First, thank you all so much for all the different options!

I think I am first going to attempt to print some maps at home or locally (I know the owner of a local office and printing supply store), and if that fails I will see about ordering them!

I have considered trying a VTT, and had a look at RPTools program, the name of which escaped me at the moment. I like the idea, but as a brand new D&Der, I'm afraid it will only complicate my learning and teaching the rules. All of the players I'm with and myself are all jumping in blind and since it was my idea I'm DMing. If I have the wrong impression and it's much easier than it looks, someone please correct me and I'll investigate furthur. For all I know it could help bridge the gap between table top games and video games that we're all familiar with.

Thanks again for all the info! And if anyone else has any more input please don't be shy!

Quote Originally Posted by Forceflow View Post
    Let me say before I write this that I'm writing it from my phone, so please excuse any typos or choppy sentences.

First, thank you all so much for all the different options!

I think I am first going to attempt to print some maps at home or locally (I know the owner of a local office and printing supply store), and if that fails I will see about ordering them!

I have considered trying a VTT, and had a look at RPTools program, the name of which escaped me at the moment. I like the idea, but as a brand new D&Der, I'm afraid it will only complicate my learning and teaching the rules. All of the players I'm with and myself are all jumping in blind and since it was my idea I'm DMing. If I have the wrong impression and it's much easier than it looks, someone please correct me and I'll investigate furthur. For all I know it could help bridge the gap between table top games and video games that we're all familiar with.

Thanks again for all the info! And if anyone else has any more input please don't be shy!
    It's(Maptool) much easier than it looks. There ARE some hard to learn features, but they are NOT required to use the application, ie, you can ease into them as you learn about them. I am not going to try convice you one way or another in terms of to VTT or not to VTT, but if you try a VTT and like it, you will be like "how could I ever do this the old slow way again!" if you ever have to play without a VTT.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

If you are just starting to play and you do not personally love fussing with technology, don't go the VTT route. I play a lovely game with my high-school group that, over the last decade and a half, have spread themselves over the continental US. For us, VTT's (we use fantasy grounds) works very well--its smooth, clean, and utterly functional.

That said, its always a hassle to get it working, and if 3 of us weren't complete tech nerds we would not be nearly as good with the UI. There were definite growing pains the first three sessions, and you won't be immune to them.

Printed maps and minis (even bottle caps and pieces of broken glass or whatever) are going to serve you much better for your first gaming experience. They are simple to manipulate, easy to understand, have few UI problems (expect for the previously mentioned glass shards). Plus you'll have a lot more fun without one more aggravating thing to figure out.