Thread: [WIP] Narridia, Revisited

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think the dashed borders version looks better. Two hints:

1. Go into the strokes panel and play around with the dashed line settings, you'll work out in about 5 minutes how to make cool dashed lines of various settings, including the dash-dot-dash-dot typical of national borders in many maps and atlases. Also look into what rounded corners does to your dashed lines.

2. Try adjusting the thickness of the dashed lines to 0,5 pt or even 0,25 pt. With the coloured edges you don't really need such a thick dashed border, it's a bit too visible (still, it's a matter of taste) and detracts from other features (including the colours).

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    I think the dashed borders version looks better. Two hints:

1. Go into the strokes panel and play around with the dashed line settings, you'll work out in about 5 minutes how to make cool dashed lines of various settings, including the dash-dot-dash-dot typical of national borders in many maps and atlases. Also look into what rounded corners does to your dashed lines.

2. Try adjusting the thickness of the dashed lines to 0,5 pt or even 0,25 pt. With the coloured edges you don't really need such a thick dashed border, it's a bit too visible (still, it's a matter of taste) and detracts from other features (including the colours).
    Thank you, kind sir. Your hints were extremely helpful. It never even occurred to me to try the rounded bits on a dashed line. Here's my latest progress, with pretty much everything turned on.

I'm still having problems naming things, and I'm having an issue with scale. I think I want the large sea to be roughly the size of the Mediterranean, but if I make it that large, then I feel like my countries are too large also. I suppose some large areas would be fine, as they could be an empire-type area. ... I just don't know.

Anyway, here's the latest WIP:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	narridia.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	42174