Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
Given that maps are a set of data presented visually I don't think development of maps would be much different than ours regardless of who is making them.
Precisely, I think that since they have the same use, they shouldn't develop too differently, what I suggested is somewhat the pre-history of human maps. But It shouldn't be identical either, unless the other race goals, use of senses and manipulation capabilities were identical to ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
Also one has to give consideration as to what sense is of primary importance to them. For instance if it were dogs making maps it would clearly have to be based around scent, but why would they represent such a thing visually. In other words dogs would never develop maps because they can't convey the right information (scents) in a relevant fashion (scent). Dogs would just go on a walk about and show the relevant information so that others would remember it. Only creatures to whom visual information is so key would ever bother developing these things. Even then the right circumstances would have to be present, for instance birds would never see an immediate need for maps so they wouldn't bother starting the creation of maps despite the fact that it would help with long distance navigation.
I agree, but the keyword here is immediate. I started with the idea that the monsters are forming some kind of larger society geographically sparse, and that propelled them to make maps. If dogs were on that situation, an american dog would not be able to actually show to a fellow countrydog how to go to France (assuming that such travel would be possible) in a practical way. They would have to devise some way to put that information in a compact and accessible way, and since scent is really hard to preserve, its possible that it could be a graphical map, granted, a VERY different map than what we are accustomed to, maybe trying to convey a sense of scent, and respecting their vision limitations.
Same with birds, they might not have the need now, but a huge bird society would need maps to organize trades and such, but maybe a very different map, mapping air currents like we map roads.