Thread: Geeky Things to do in Vancouver BC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool map Hai-Etlik. I am pretty sure we were planning to be in Vancouver and take the ferry over to Butchart Gardens. I guess we could look into staying on Victoria instead. Stanley park looked like a pretty cool park to check out but based on your map it looks like most stuff is on the island. Hmmm...

@GP - That's a pretty crazy sounding story there man. You would think the army would get you home at least.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 04-21-2013 at 01:29 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    @GP - That's a pretty crazy sounding story there man. You would think the army would get you home at least.
    Well since you mentioned it, it was crazier than you think.

I left in December intent on driving the ALCAN highway home. I got to White Horse, NW Territory, when I realized that it was winter, and every 3rd gas station was open, the rest closed. I was driving on fumes by the time I reached the next gas station - and getting paranoid of running out of gas in the middle of nowhere. So I bought a ferry boat ticket with my last traveling funds, then drove down to the panhandle of Alaska. I was out of cash by the time I reached Victoria Island at Port Hardy - somebody and his son paid me gas money to get them to Victoria. I got there broke. Money was being sent to Victoria Police Station, for lack of a better address. The officer offered me money, I said no. I had a cold winter sleeping bag, some peanut butter and bread, and a pickup truck with topper.

I found a hostel, intending to stay, but it turned out Canada had reduced funding on mental institutions and self-turn-ins in Vancouver had to leave, so they crossed to Victoria and were all in the hostels - very crazy where I visited one. An Australian volunteer behind the front desk suggested I stay in my truck if I had the facility to do so. So I did.

The next day, I went to a breakfast restaurant half way across the city to spend my last $6.00 on something to eat. Coincidentally, the Australian hostel desk volunteer was eating breakfast with his girlfriend, saw me, we talked and he offered to let me stay in his driveway, since he already had a house guest.

I window shopped, visited the parks, and went to a toy museum for $.50 entry fee, and a place to 'stay' - I had a good time.

I stayed until the money showed up - left a $20 bill on the dining table of the house I was staying and continued my way home.

My parents went on a private vacation to Victoria the year after that - 1988 - wanting to thank the police officer in Victoria, whom they contacted and set up getting the money there, but the officer retired in 1987.

It was an interesting experience - and a tale I tell to friends.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-21-2013 at 05:13 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Cool map Hai-Etlik. I am pretty sure we were planning to be in Vancouver and take the ferry over to Butchart Gardens. I guess we could look into staying on Victoria instead. Stanley park looked like a pretty cool park to check out but based on your map it looks like most stuff is on the island. Hmmm...
    It's just that I live on the island so I know it a lot better. That's a very biased map. I know the Cowichan Valley really well, Victoria and Nanaimo somewhat less, and then the rest of the Island and the mainland not so well.