Thread: Legacy of Loki world map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for your reply Bartmoss.

I'm guessing the "river going into two seas" is up in the north , with a dot right in the middle. That's actually two rivers, one coming from the west and another from the east. The two rivers come within maybe 10 miles of each other before diverging off in different directions. I actually threw this one out to the community before, and from the response it sounded as though it was possible, if unlikely, an occurrence. The idea was for two cities to grow in tandem along the banks of two rivers that formed major trading routes. They eventually grew into each other and merged into a single city, and eventually became the centre for a major roman-styled empire.

The two-rivers-coming-out-of-one-lake thing though, is that strictly impossible? Or just unlikely?

I really need to make myself some earth science or geography friends or something

Working madly away at a paper due Tuesday, so I really shouldn't even be considering any of this stuff right now. Funny how the creative inspiration always seems to come when you're procrastinating on something more important...

Strictly impossible.
    If you have two river outlets, both must be on the same height. And that all the time. And there's never exactly the same terrain surrounding the lake so one of the outlets wash away the sediment faster. The faster it wash away the more water runs down -> the other outlet dries out. Maybe, if you just have a lake created (by an earthquake for example) it could have two outlets but not for very long. I think a few months, maximum a year, and that's too less to have settlements around.
    Last edited by Zar Peter; 03-08-2010 at 07:56 AM.
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep - zar is right - only one river out... just like cagefighting "two rivers enter.. one river leaves" *lol* ...
    If a giant explosion ripped your world apart, you have to think a bit how the explosion happens - the circle you have drawn looks a bit like an explosion formed like a giant ball (sort of like Arnold arriving in terminator) and just removing the stuff in the ball. A normal explosion would blast from the middle thus still being able to make a round form but blasting the removed earth out to all sides - making new landforms where they land... Then the water would rush in and fill the crater - but with a crater this huge it would probably change the sealevel all around the earth - thus baring new land where sea was before - which would be barren for a long time before nature creeps in an takes over. In addtion to that, the waves from the water rush would probably destroy the shape of the crater here and there where the ground is mostly soil and not so rocky. The splashes of the waves could form inland lakes, but I guess they would be temporary as they won't be replenished - remember the ocean level is now lower than before.
    Another thing to concider is dust - if a vulcano erupts it spreads fine dust all for miles and miles around making the atmosphere inpentrable to the sun and thus making the fields gold and the country cold. You could argue that an explosion of your size would do the same, and probably on a world wide basis - thus plunging the planet into an icewinter for many years.

Looking forward to seing an hearing more about your world
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by piraterobotninjaofdeath View Post
    I'm guessing the "river going into two seas" is up in the north , with a dot right in the middle. That's actually two rivers, one coming from the west and another from the east. The two rivers come within maybe 10 miles of each other before diverging off in different directions.
    This is absolutely credible in real world terms. In northeastern Bavaria in the Fichtelgebirge range (Spruce Mountains) the watersheds of the Rhine, Danube and Elbe meet and sprout four rivers. Within 10 miles of one another are the sources of the Main River (Rhine tributary), the Fichtelnaab (Danube tributary) and the Eger and Saale Rivers (both Elbe tributaries). Three separate watersheds coming together, as in this case, is a bit unusual, but two watersheds meeting is normal, in fact, it cannot be otherwise. Anywhere where the ridge line that defines watershed boundaries arise, springs can and do come up on both sides of the ridge that flow into different watersheds. Don't let anyone tell you that there is anything unrealistic about this idea. It is, in fact, the way it works in the real world. However, it would be very strange if you had two rivers flowing different directions out of the same swamp (lowlands), because a swamp hardly would define a watershed boundary.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project